On Wednesday evening, in a small suburb outside of Perth, in Western Australia, a fire broke out in the home of Rob Gibbons.
Gibbons had dozed off in a chair after dinner, and as he slumbered, he was unaware that a dangerous fire was smoldering in the same room where he rested.
Gibbons was nudged awake by two wet noses belonging to his German shepherds, "Kay," and "Sasha."
Initially, Gibbons assumed that his dogs wanted out, but it was quickly apparent that their need was something much more urgent - to get out of danger's way.
The dogs had literally walked past flames, which were spreading throughout the room, to wake their guardian.
Thanks to their effort to rouse him from his sleep, Gibbons was able to douse the flames with water, extinguishing the fire before it destroyed the entire house, and claimed precious lives.
The smoke from the lounge was pretty toxic and I was dizzy and coughing as it was.
They saved a whole lot of damage, if not the whole house and I am pretty sure they saved my bacon.......no one else lives here so they were my backup.
Gibbons' dogs came into his life three years ago, after being let go by their previous owners. Though the dogs had not originated in the same home, they bonded to one another quickly.
Today, they are an invaluable part of Gibbon's life and he hopes that others will consider adopting. Following the dogs' great save this week, he wrote:
It proves that these wonderful dogs are trainable at any age and are definitely not a disposable throw away! I wouldn't be without them and am so glad I made the decision to have them in my home.
Adding an emphatic:
GSD'S ROCK !
If you would like to continue receiving the latest dog related news, tips and advice, please click the "Subscribe" icon which is located at the top of this column.
It is free and anonymous to sign up For updates and further discussion, follow the National Dog News Examiner on Facebook and Twitter!
I am human; if you see a typo, please let me know. Questions, comments or story ideas can be emailed to Eims1@live.com.