We told you last week about the Georgia teenager who was denied a heart transplant reportedly because of his troubled past. Well now Anthony Stokes not only was put on the transplant list, he already got his new heart.
The 15-year-old received a heart transplant Tuesday night at Children's Healthcare of Atlanta (CHOA), according to family spokesperson, Mark Bell.
Bell told WSB TV Anthony is recovering and "doing great."
Stokes story attracted national attention when his family told media CHOA denied him a spot on the heart transplant list. A letter sent to the family said "Anthony is currently not a transplant candidate due to having a history of noncompliance, which is one of our center's contraindications to listing for heart transplant."
Typically, noncompliance is when doctors think a patient will not take his medicine or go to follow-up appointments. Anthony's mother said she believed doctors made their decision to deny him because he had low grades and had been in trouble with the law.
However, a week later doctors reversed their decision and gave Anthony top priority on the transplant list.
Bell said Anthony's heart transplant started at 6:15 p.m. on Tuesday and lasted just over five hours.
Family spokesman Mark Bell told ABC News. He is now resting and in recovery.
"I would like to thank everyone involved, and that we will update everyone throughout the day," Melencia Hamilton, Anthony's mother, said through Bell