The venue often determines the overall style and aesthetic of your wedding day, advise the professionals at George Street Photo & Video. Every part of the wedding planning process is important, but location is everything. That’s why many couples are opting to plan destination weddings.
Not to be confused with an elopement, a destination wedding is one in which the wedding is held in a vacation-like setting, where guests travel and often stay for several days. We typically think of a beach ceremony in the tropics, but couples are opting to hold their weddings to fit their lifestyle and budgets. More and more are staying in the continental U.S. A destination wedding is a perfect way to bring everyone together, especially if family and friends live far away from each other.
With over 350,000 weddings held annually in the U.S., destination weddings represent 24% of all weddings. The reasons vary, but for some couples, budget limitations make it an attractive choice. The wedding guests are, generally, family and close friends, meaning couples are spared from throwing large expensive receptions. The guests typically stay for several days after the ceremony, so it becomes a mini vacation for them and an ideal honeymoon locale for the bride and groom.
Top Destination Wedding Locales in the U.S.
Seventy percent of destination weddings take place in the continental U.S. with Florida, California, Nevada, North Carolina, and South Carolina as the top 5 locations. The professionals at George Street Photo & Video share some top destination wedding locales for planning the perfect getaway wedding:
● Disney World - Orlando, Florida: Couples have the option of choosing one of four wedding packages, which include an evening ceremony beneath the stars at Epcot Centre, an afternoon affair in front of Cinderella’s Castle or a romantic voyage aboard a luxury cruise liner.
● Redwood Forest - California: For a truly unique experience, the Redwood National Park offers the ancient, mystical presence of the tallest trees on earth. The unspoiled wilderness is the perfect backdrop for nature lovers.
● Niagara Falls - New York: While falls retains its reputation as the quintessential honeymoon stop, there are plenty of spots for wedding venues, as well. Couples can get married on the Maid of the Mist tour boat as it travels through the Bridal Veil Falls.
● Grand Canyon - Arizona: Mother Nature provides an inspiring landscape as a backdrop to the ceremony. Shoshone Point can be reserved for weddings and can accommodate up to 50 guests. Helicopter rides can be arranged to transport the wedding party to the ceremony location.
● Martha’s Vineyard - Massachusetts: The quaint locales offer brides a choice to be married beachside, at a lighthouse, at sea or while hiking at the beautiful resort island. The island can only be accessed by boat or plane, with over 127 miles of shoreline. Many of the private beaches are available upon reservation.
● San Juan Islands - Washington: The San Juan Islands are a group of quiet, forested islands located in the northwest corner of Washington. The islands are an eco-tourist hotspot for hiking, whale watching, kayaking and cycling. They have a laidback, tranquil vibe, and boast rustic Victorian chapels for wedding ceremonies.
● Savannah - Georgia: Savannah is one of the prettiest cities in the U.S., and has the picturesque charm and Southern hospitality fit for the perfect wedding.
● Jackson Hole, Wyoming: For couples looking to celebrate with a rugged Western style, Wyoming offers an incredible backdrop. The day begins with a romantic hot air balloon ride over the Grand Tetons, with a touchdown for an outdoor ceremony at a secluded ranch.
● Juneau - Alaska: Juneau is one of the few places in the world where you can get married on the face of a glacier. If this type of setting doesn’t sound appealing, then the ceremony can be held along the Gastineau Channel, where sea otters and humpback whales are a part of the backdrop.
● Puerto Rico: If you are looking to exchange your vows on a tropical beach, Puerto Rico has the vibrancy a perfect destination wedding spot. Conveniently, it is officially a U.S. unincorporated territory and American citizens do not need a passport to get there.
The locale is of prime importance as is the photography that captures all of the special moments from the romantic day. The professional photographers employed by George Street Photo & Video use photojournalistic style to create the story of your wedding, capturing all of the moments that evolve during the special day. Follow the story of George Street Photo & Video on Facebook