George Lucas might have revealed more than Disney wanted him to about “Star Wars: Episode VI” in a Bloomberg Businessweek interview published March 7. In the article, the “Star Wars” creator hints original trilogy stars Harrison Ford, Mark Hamill and Carrie Fisher will reprise their roles in “Episode VII.”
Or maybe they won’t.
Lucas confirmed he had talked to Ford, Hamill and Fisher about returning as Han Solo, Luke Skywalker and Princess Leia prior to Lucasfilm being acquired by Disney. Hamill had previously revealed the three actors had been in talks with Lucasfilm about the “Star Wars” film, but not the acquisition.
In his interview with Businessweek, Lucas said:
“We had already signed Mark and Carrie and Harrison—or we were pretty much in final stages of negotiation. So I called them to say, ‘Look, this is what’s going on.’ Lucas continued, “Maybe I’m not supposed to say that. I think they want to announce that with some big whoop-de-do, but we were negotiating with them.”
But Lucas also added: “I won’t say whether the negotiations were successful or not.”
Disney’s Lucasfilm was less forthcoming. A spokesperson for the company told the Associated Press:
“George couldn’t say whether they were signed or not and neither can we. As Yoda said, ‘Always in motion is the future.’ Stay tuned.”
So will or won’t Ford, Hamill and Fisher appear in “Star Wars: Episode VII”? Their appearances in the new film are still speculative at this point.
Much like the article as a whole, Lucas’ statements about the casting are a savvy move to keep all eyes watching what Disney and Lucasfilm do with “Star Wars.”
In the Businessweek interview, Lucas offers a more detailed look at how he came to sell Lucasfilm to Disney. It offers a fascinating look at how Lucas is aware of his legacy as a filmmaker, and suggests why he trusts “Star Wars” and other properties to Disney.
The article is filled with information about Lucas’ relationship with Bob Iger, Disney Chairman and CEO; his reaction to the reception of the second “Star Wars” trilogy; and his decision to entrust Lucasfilm to Disney after watching how the company treated Pixar and Marvel.
Lucas also re-iterated he worked on ”rough sketches” for the next three “Star Wars” films, the third trilogy, before negotiating a deal with Disney. Lucas will remain creative consultant on the next three films, although it is Lucasfilm president Kathleen Kennedy who will oversee them.
Beyond the continued speculation about which actors from the original trilogy may return for the new “Star Wars” film, the article provides some good background for fans who want to better understand why the deal between Lucas and Disney is, well, such a big deal.
But for many “Star Wars” fans, the biggest deal may be what Lucas revealed, and then tried to take back, about casting for “Star Wars: Episode VII.” Or to speculate why he did so and wait for Disney to officially what's the next big news deal for the movie.