Populus (“People”) is the Second Geomantic Figure. Consisting of Four Double Dots, it resembles a river, which makes logical sense, as it is composed of Two sets of Two Pairs, representing Water over Water, or, as we might assign it to Nova Thought, “Rain of Rain”, which aligns it with the Tarot Court Card of the Queen of Cups, the Tarot Trump “The Moon” and the Zodiac Sign Pisces. which is a Water Sign, ruled by Jupiter.
Although Pisces is a Water Sign, ruled classically by Jupiter, Modern Astrologers like to substitute Neptune. Curiously, as a mutable Sign, it is regardless connected to Neptune through the Chaos Principle. Since Pisces is thus, in Nova Thought, the Sub-Principal Rain of Rain, this also would connect us to the Number Two, Jupiter, Thursday, the Runes Uruz, Thurisaz, and Laguz, and the Sefira Chesed.
It has been said, that Populus was the Sign that Jesus of Nazarus drew on the ground in John, Chapter Eight:
- 1 but Jesus went to the Mount of Olives.
- 2 At dawn he appeared again in the temple courts, where all the people gathered around him, and he sat down to teach them. 3 The teachers of the law and the Pharisees brought in a woman caught in adultery. They made her stand before the group 4 and said to Jesus, “Teacher, this woman was caught in the act of adultery. 5 In the Law Moses commanded us to stone such women. Now what do you say?” 6 They were using this question as a trap, in order to have a basis for accusing him.
- But Jesus bent down and started to write on the ground with his finger. 7 When they kept on questioning him, he straightened up and said to them, “Let any one of you who is without sin be the first to throw a stone at her.” 8 Again he stooped down and wrote on the ground.
- 9 At this, those who heard began to go away one at a time, the older ones first, until only Jesus was left, with the woman still standing there. 10 Jesus straightened up and asked her, “Woman, where are they? Has no one condemned you?”
- 11 “No one, sir,” she said.
- “Then neither do I condemn you,” Jesus declared. “Go now and leave your life of sin.”
Notice, that Jesus of Nazareth wrote Twice, perhaps inscribing Two lines of Dots!
When Populus is in a Reading, the Collective Unconscious is involved. As it is composed of Four Pairs of Two Dots, it represents the Ultimate Expression of Passivity. Populus involves family, friends, and groups; it can also indicate that the outcome depends on others. It can also mean messages and news as well as the environment. Sometimes, one must go with the flow, and follow the River wherever it leads.
As the Right Witness, it indicates a Past situation in which outside influences were very important. This is what shaped the current situation.
As the Left Witness, the Message of Populus may be, in the Future, pay more attention to advice from others.
As the Judge, the advice would be, “Don’t go it alone!” There is also an implication to listen to your Inner, Higher Voice! The Two are not mutually exclusive!