With a blog, there are so many options for what you can blog about, that sometimes it can be difficult to come up with ideas. As stated in the previous article, Geneabloggers has many themes that can help. Still, it's always up to the person making the blog to decide what to include and what not to include.
If you like Geneabloggers' themes, there are many ways you can use them. If you like more than one theme for a particular day, you can switch from one theme to another each week, or you can do two or more in a single day, so long as you are up to the writing involved.
Some fun blogging prompts available at Geneabloggers:
- Sentimental Sunday – for posts focusing on sentimental stories about your family.
- Matrilinial Monday – posts about the matriarchs in your family tree, and stories about them.
- Tech Tuesday – posts featuring reviews, information and resources about genealogy technology from computers and phones to software and web-pages.
- Wedding Wednesday – posts about the weddings in your family line.
- Thrifty Thursday – a way to discuss how to do genealogy cheaply, and information about where to get the best deals.
- Follow Friday – a great way to find new blogs and other genealogists to follow on the web; follow Friday is a post about those genealogists you like to read the blogs of, and where to find them.
- Surname Saturday – all about the surnames in your family tree, and where they come from, and the people in your tree with that surname.
These are just a small sample of the possible prompts. There are a handful for each day of the week, so go check them out: blogging prompts at Geneabloggers.
But you shouldn't limit yourself to Geneablogger's themes. Write posts about your family stories. Write about your family's service records. Keep track of important dates of those long gone, and talk about them as their births or anniversaries come up. Talk about the places your ancestors came from. Talk about what makes your family special, and use details that might attract the attention of someone looking for the same people. Don't give them too much, because you want them to contact you, but just enough so that they have some idea that the person you're talking about and the person they're looking for are the same.
The important thing is to make your blog unique, as that will keep people coming back for more. And that is best done by writing about your family, and what it is that makes them special. Also, write regularly. Make yourself a schedule. If you're not able to post often, choose a day or two out of the week as your posting days, and just write bits and pieces throughout the week to post on those days.
Just keep writing. You never know what might happen.