It’s time to pop open the cork and go grab a book, folks. May 25 is not only National Wine Day, it’s also Geek Pride Day, an annual holiday" that celebrates computer geeks, word nerds and brainiacs. Boston radio host Tim McEachern created the occasion. The date was selected to commemorate the release of the first “Star Wars” movie on May 25, 1977.
While some are criticized, ostracized and teased for being different, many geeks are highly intelligent and imaginative people that go on to lead very successful lives. According to a Geek Pride Day 2013 telephone survey, “geeks are thought to be extremely intelligent, hard working and even dateable!”
So slip on those smarty-pants and embrace your inner geek-ness! It's Geek Pride Day!
Famous Geeks & Nerds
- Sir Tim Berners-Lee – This Oxford University graduate “invented” a little something known as the World Wide Web.
- Bill Gates – Entrepreneur/philanthropist started a little company called Microsoft and has an estimated net worth of $77 billion!
- Steve Jobs – Apple, Apple, Apple!
- Steve Wozniak – This Dancing with the Stars alum was also one of the co-founders of Apple.
- Mark Zuckerberg – The co-founder and chairman of Facebook currently has an estimated net worth of $27 billion.
- Michael Dell – The founder of Dell, Inc., actually started his business in his dorm room when he was a pre-med student at the University of Texas. It’s a Dell, dude!
- Jeff Bezos – With a net worth of over $28 billion, this Princeton graduated founded Amazon.
- Sergey Brin – This Stanford grad co-founded a little search engine named Google.
- Shawn Fanning – This computer programmer/entrepreneur created Napster in 1998 and forever changed the way we share music.
- Michael Stern Hart - Hart created the eBook in 1971 and also founded Project Gutenberg. This very frugal visionary died of a heart attack in 2011. He was 64.
- Stephen King – Did you know the “Master of Horror” holds a degree in English?
- Steven Spielberg – Writer/director extraordinaire. ‘Nuff said!
- George Lucas - This Oscar winning writer/director, who wanted to be a professional car driver, went on to create magic on the big screen with a slew of blockbuster films including “Star Wars”, “Raiders of the Lost Art” and “American Graffiti”, to name a few.
- Bill Nye the Science Guy worked at Boeing as an engineer.
- Danica McKellar – Cute little Winnie Cooper is all grown up. Besides landing a stint on "Dancing with the Stars", she also holds a mathematics degree and has written several New York Times bestselling books.
- Art Garfunkel – This half of the popular singing duo, Simon and Garfunkel, has a Master’s in math from Columbia and started his doctorate.
- David Duchovny – The handsome actor received his Bachelor's from Princeton, his Master’s from Yale and began a Ph.D. program at Yale.
- Jodie Foster – This Oscar-winning actress/director has been lighting up the screen since she was a kid. She graduated from Yale with a degree in literature.
- Ashley Judd – This talented and lovely actress is fluent in French and has a Master’s degree from Harvard.
- Mayim Bialik – This accomplished actress/dancer not only played a geek on TV, but she also holds a Ph.D. in neuroscience in real life!
- Lisa Kudrow – Everyone’s favorite Friend, Phoebe, is no dumb blonde! Kudrow has a biology degree from Vassar.
- Natalie Portman – This beautiful Oscar winner is not only fluent in six languages, she has a degree in psychology from Harvard.
Just in case you think you should be on the list, be sure to take Backupify’s Geek Pride Day Quiz.