Yesterday (3/5/13), at 1:30pm the smell of gas was noticed in our Wisconsin office. We immediately evacuated and called 911, as outlined in our Emergency Procedure Manual.
Nine animals were in our office at the time, and staff were able to remove one of them before the fire department showed up. It was noticed that the gas stove was left on for approximately 3.5 hours without a flame. It is unclear why or who did it at this point. The fire department entered and opened the windows and doors - a few minutes later they tested the air on each of the three levels and found it safe to go back in once they turned off the stove.
No property damage, fire, human or animal injury or death resulted thankfully!
Unfortunately, eight animals were left in the Global Conservation Group during that whole time without being removed. The reason being that we did not want to risk causing any sort of spark which would have caused the property to combust. All of the eight animals that remained inside were examined and found to be in good health.
We are currently working to revise our Emergency Procedure Manual to ensure that all animals can be easily removed from the property in the event of another emergency.