Barnyards, farmers’ markets and festivals feature petting zoos with amazing animals, especially considering that in our age of technology, many young children (and adults for that matter!) have never experienced even an ordinary chicken first-hand.
The Redwood 4-H petting zoo will be making its 5th annual appearance at the Garin Park Apple Festival in Hayward on September 6th from noon to 4 p.m. and will feature an amazing conglomeration of volunteers and their animals, including the following:
- Three hard-working weed-removal goats from the Hayward Hills, Billy, Buckley, and Millie
- Two bronze-breasted turkeys destined for the Thanksgiving table, Potatoes and Stuffing
- Two pampered bunnies with show careers, lil Buddha and Stefan
- A rare pair of mother-daughter white chinchillas
- Two egg-layers, a barred Plymouth Rock hen named Henrietta and a grey bantam hen named Juliet
- Coco the fabulous pet guinea pig
- And, hopefully, a large surprise animal
All will be under the tent behind the barn ready to meet you and show off their unique qualities. Each also has a coloring sheet/activity for kids and a kid to personally introduce you.
The Apple Festival has a lot more to offer, of course, with an incredible variety of apples to sample and vote for your favorite, hand-cranked ice cream, pressed cider, live music, dancing, crafts, and loads of activities for kids. The petting zoo is just the one aspect of a wonderful day spent outside with the community, and the entire event is certainly not to be missed!
Although entry is free, there is a $5.00 parking fee. Call (510) 544-3220 for more information.
Garin Apple Festival 2014
1320 Garin Avenue
Hayward, CA 94544
Saturday, September 6
Noon to 4 pm