In case it isn't obvious, it's summer in South Florida. But that's OK if you're a greenmarket fan. And just because it's hot enough to make your sneakers fuse to the pavement, doesn't mean there are no good groceries out there.
Palm Beach Gardens' greenmarket has gone indoors for the season. And while it isn't the fanciest venue, there are chill spots to stop while you shop for everything from flowers and frozen pops to cheese and fresh chives.
What will you find at the summer market that you'll appreciate this summer?
- Lots of tomatoes, in lots of colors and shapes. It's tomato time in South Florida, and what's better on a grilled burger or salad?
- But it's not just the tomatoes: there's plenty of other produce, both standard and organic: potatoes and corn for the grill, lots of greens, fresh herbs, melons and summer fruits including peaches, apricots, nectarines and plums.
- Fresh cold fruit juices and smoothies.
- Locally-produced seltzer, available for pickup or delivery.
- Handmade fresh fruit pops, with summer flavors such as blueberry, pineapple, raspberry, strawberry and watermelon.
- Fine Italian cheeses and olives (those two combined is an easy salad).
- Fresh breads and pastries (no need to turn on the oven and heat the kitchen).
- Gluten-free gourmets are not forgotten: there are pastries and pastas for you, too.
- Grass-fed, natural beef, pork, lamb and chicken for the grilling season.
- Ready-made foods, from gumbo and ribs to chicken and waffles.
- There are the fixings you tend to forget, such as freshly-made pickles, exotic mushrooms and spreads and dips made of everything from chickpeas to carrots.
- Don't forget the spice of life: salts, herbs and seasonings for your meals.
- And of course, there's the tea and coffee.
- Fresh-cut flowers to bring as gifts or decorate your own home.
- Soaps, candles and natural oils for giving now or later.
In addition to what you can buy, there's plenty of free parking and easy access in and out of the facility. And the weather's never a factor.
Palm Beach Gardens Greenmarket, at The STORE, 11010 N. Military Trail, Palm Beach Gardens, Fl. Hours: Sundays 8 a.m. to 1 p.m. through September 28.