Skip to main content
Report this ad

See also:

‘Game of Thrones' Jack Gleeson says Joffrey was inspired by Joaquin Phoenix

‘Game of Thrones' Jack Gleeson says Joffrey was inspired by Joaquin Phoenix
Photos by HBO Promotional

King Joffrey is perhaps the most sadistic and evil ruler ever and his portrayer, Jack Gleeson reveals the classic villains that inspire his characterization of one of “Game of Thrones” most reviled entities. According to The Independent on April 5, Joaquin Phoenix’s portrayal of Commodus in “Gladiator” ranks among his top inspirations.

The 21-year old philosophy student, who attends Dublin’s Trinity College, says Hexxus from “Fern Gulley” also influenced his Joffrey.

Does he like playing such an evil character?

“It’s interesting sometimes when an audience can empathise with a villain. But to get completely lost in it, it’s exciting just to be intrinsically evil and not have a speck of good or humanity in their bones,” he said. We take that to mean yes.

Gleeson says that there are elements of Joffrey that are familiar to everyone. He says he feels the same emotions Joffrey feels about 90% of the time such as glee or frustration. The other 10% of the time he finds it difficult to focus but finds that fun as well. Still, he tries to stay focused on what his character thinks otherwise it just doesn’t work.

The young actor, who remains out of the limelight as much as possible outside the show, says he has to completely lose himself in the character to play him. When “Game of Thrones” ends, he says he has no desire to further his acting career.

“The crux of it is that I don’t want to be an actor after Game of Thrones. Interviews are good if you want to be an actor because they raise your profile. You’re also more interesting to talk to if you’re more passionate about acting,” he said.

“I don’t need to do those things, and I also suppose I’m just private. I find it slightly uncomfortable to see my face on a bus or a poster. I like just being known by my friends and family.”

That’s a shame because Gleeson could have a long and dazzling career ahead of himself if he chose.

“Game of Thrones” airs on Sundays on HBO.

If you liked this article click the Subscribe button to receive email updates when a new article is published. Follow Theresa on Google+, StumbleUpon and Twitter or connect on Pinterest. Visit Amazon to find fiction by Theresa.

©TheresaLeschmann. All Rights Reserved. No part of this article may be reproduced without prior permissions from the author. Partial reposting is permitted with a link back to the original article.

Report this ad