Independent game developer Jonathan Blow revealed a new game, “The Witness”, at Sony’s PlayStation 4 reveal last month. Speaking with Edge Online on March 8, Blow talked about why “The Witness” will be coming to Sony’s latest console first, rather than the still unknown Xbox.
Blow noted this afternoon that the new Xbox 360 successor is “not strictly about games,” which as a result, lead him to the PlayStation 4.
“To me[,] they talk about a console that is not strictly about games. It’s trying to be the [center] of the living room device, which is fine and maybe it’s the right thing for Microsoft to do, business-wise. I don’t know; I actually don’t think it is, but they've certainly thought about it more than me!”
Blow went on to speak about his previous relationship with Microsoft. “ I've had a hard time working with Microsoft in the past,” he said. “Other developers who are friends of mine have had a horrible time, so the idea of signing up again with Microsoft isn't something I’d have ruled out, but there’s a certain amount of dread I have about doing that again.”
Blow says he doesn't feel that way in regards to Sony, but for all he knows it could be “just as bad in the end.” However, he doesn't believe this is the case.
This is not the first time Blow has made his relationship with Microsoft known. He stated back in February he doesn't have good communication with the company, noting that the studio “like[s] the positioning of the PS4 more that what we perceive Microsoft’s positioning is going to be.”