The Jets started off hot, gaining a 2-0 lead within the first six minutes. The lead, however, was squandered, and by the start of the third period, the Avalanche were ahead.
The Jets, however, were able to get back into the game as Blake Wheeler got them back into the game with a third period marker. Overtime was then a bump in the Road to the Shootout where this game was finally solved
The majority of fans were excited by one player on the Jets above all others - Jacob Trouba. Since returning from injury, young Trouba has shown that he is a force to be reckoned with, effectively stealing the spotlight from Mark Scheifele. In Colorado, #1 overall pick in this summer's NHL Entry Draft Nathan Mackinnon has shown remarkable energy and did so on this night, setting up the go-ahead by Matt Duchene. Duchene hardly was a slouch, showing that he has what it takes to possibly land himself on the Canadian Olympic roster.
Winnipeg Jets - Ondrej Pavelec
Colorado Avalance - Semyon Varlamov
- The Jets started the action quickly with Blake Wheeler scoring from the slot off half spin just 24 seconds, with Toby Enstrom and Bryan Little drawing the assists. 1-0 Winnipeg Jets
- First penalty of the game goes to Erik Johnson of the Colorado Avalanche for Holding at 2:24
- While the Jets were still on the powerplay, Nate Guenin was sent off for Delay of Game. No goals just yet though.
- The goal indeed comes after the expiry of the first penalty, as Michal Frolik redirects a Jacob Trouba slapper from the blueline. Grant Clitsome also draws an assist. 2-0 Winnipeg Jets
- A bench minor to the Avs was up next, served by Nathan MacKinnon. Avs successful kill off the penalty this time.
- Through 11:15, the Jets had outshot the Avs 12-3
- Matt Duscehene puts the Avs on the board with a breakout in the attacking zone. Ryan O'Reilly and Nate Guenin get the assists. 2-1 Winnipeg Jets
- Action starts off the second period in the Colorado Avalanche zone.
- Jets first penalty of the game comes at 4:33 to Chris Thorburn for Highsticking. Jets kill off the penalty successfully.
- Winnipeg Jets continue to be up in shots, 16-6 at the halfway point, and unfortunately also go back on the penalty kill as Olli Jokinen goes off for Tripping. Jets do kill off the penalty
- Jacob Trouba gets a strong chant from the Winnipeg Jets faithful before Gabe Landeskog officially goes off for Tripping.
- Ryan O'Reilly evens up the score after being fed from behind the next by Matt Dusehene. It's his 10th. Corey Sarich also draws an assist. 2-2 Tie
- With less than two seconds left, Matt Duchene gets his second to put the Colorado Avalanche up going into intermission. Nathan Mackinnon draws the lone assist. 3-2 Colorado Avalanche
- Action is mild at best through the first eight minutes as the Colorado Avalanche play conservatively.
- Corey Sarich goes off for two in and around the eight minute mark for Tripping.
- Blake Wheeler gets the Jets back on the board with a garbage-style tuck in off a poorly-handled Mark Scheifele shot from the point. Grant Clitsome gets his second assist of the game as well, all coming on the powerplay. 3-3 Tie Game
- A collision at the back boards results in Gabe Landeskog going off for two for Boarding. Fans feel there should've been more time dealt out. Jets can't capitalize
- Jets got back into the shot lead but couldn't put the game on ice. OT coming.
- A couple chances early on but not much to get excited about as fans await the shootout.
- Jacob Trouba gets a decent point shot in, not a major challenge for Semyon Varlamov though.
- Heightened crowd excitement settles in at the two minute mark but this is destined for the shootout.
Jets 1. Devon Setoguchi - O
Avalanche 1. Matt Duchene - X
Jets 2. Andrew Ladd - O
Avalance 2. P.A. Parenteau X