Skip to main content
Report this ad

See also:

Galloway's late heroics lead St. Joe's to victory over Dayton

Langston Galloway's three-pointer with one second remaining led Saint Joseph's to a 60-57 win over Dayton.
Photo by Alex Trautwig/Getty Images

During the closing minutes of their contest against Dayton on Wednesday night it was looking a lot like "same old Saint Joseph's" to most Hawk fans.

The Hawks had coughed up a 15-point second half lead and suddenly with nine seconds to play, it was St. Joe's possession out of a timeout in a game tied at 57. It appeared that the Hawks propensity to throw away big games with late mistakes was going to rear its ugly head once again.

Langston Galloway had other ideas.

Galloway knocked down a bank shot from three-point range with just over one second remaining on the clock and Saint Joseph's recorded their first win at Dayton since 2001, coming away with a 60-57 win over the Flyers.

Anybody who watched the first half of the game probably did not see such an enthralling finish unfolding during the course of this key Atlantic 10 contest.

Both teams struggled mightily on the offensive end of the floor, with Saint Joseph's (14-6, 4-2 Atlantic 10) only shooting 7-of-26 from the field in the opening half as Dayton (13-8, 1-5 A-10) plodded their way to a 25-20 halftime advantage.

Saint Joseph's had Chris Wilson to thank for keeping them close in the opening half as the often-criticized junior point guard scored 10 of the Hawks 20 points in the opening half and knocked down three of their seven made field goals.

In the second half the Hawks turned the tables a bit as they went on a 27-5 run over a stretch of just over nine minutes with a Ronald Roberts lay-up punctuating the spurt and giving the Hawks a game-high 15 point advantage with 10:07 remaining.

After a timeout by Dayton coach Archie Miller, the Flyers scored the next ten points and a Dyshawn Pierre lay-up suddenly had Dayton within five with 6:28 left.

St. Joe's restored order a bit after the Dayton run and Roberts hit one of two free throws to give the Hawks a 52-43 edge with 5:10 to play.

The Flyers continued to chop away at the Hawks advantage before a Pierre layup with 11 seconds left tied the game at 57, setting up Galloway's late heroics.

A half-court prayer from Jordan Sibert clanked off of the back iron as the horn sounded, allowing the Hawks to escape with a much-needed victory.

Wilson led a balanced scoring attack for St. Joe's as he scored 15 points in the win while Galloway and Roberts added 12 points while DeAndre Bembry had a strong second half performance to net 11 points for the Hawks. After a putrid first-half shooting performance, Saint Joseph's shot an impressive 14-of-19 from the field in the second half.

Sibert led all scorers with 20 points for Dayton, canning six three-pointers over the course of the game. Devin Oliver was the other Flyer in double-figures, finishing the game with 16 points.

The Hawks will face off against Massachusetts in their next game on Saturday evening with tip-off scheduled for 6 p.m. at Hagan Arena with the game being broadcast nationally on the CBS Sports Network. Saint Joseph's lost a late-game lead against the nationally-ranked Minutemen earlier in January, falling in that contest 66-62.

Massachusetts (17-3, 4-2 A-10) was upset on Wednesday evening by St. Bonaventure. It was the second loss in the last three games for the Minutemen.

Saint Joseph's comes into their crucial three game home-stand on a high after a dramatic victory on the road. The next three contests should certainly provide some answers as to just how high the Hawks can soar this season.

More importantly, these next three games should show us whether Saint Joseph's has finally exorcised their late game demons.

Report this ad