UPDATE (Sept. 22, 2013 at 7:00 a.m.): Gale Sayers spoke with the Chicago Tribune on Saturday and informed the news publication that he did not consent to a lawsuit being filed under his name in United States District Court in Chicago, as previously insinuated after a filing was made on Friday regarding allegations that the NFL neglected to handle head injuries properly. Ardie Sayers, Sayers' wife, revealed on Saturday evening that John Winters - an attorney - had called and said that the lawsuit will be dropped. He told her that the entire situation was a "misunderstanding."
Sayers claims he talked to the attorney this past week but did not agree to sue. He also said that he did not say any of the things the attorney said that he said in the newspaper.
The original report:
Gale Sayers, a football Hall of Fame running back who played for the Bears from 1965 to 1961, is suing the NFL. Sayers’ lawsuit - which states that the NFL negligently handled his reoccurring head injuries which have caused him to suffer headaches and short-term memory loss after retiring from the game - was filed Friday in U.S. District Court in Chicago, according to a Chicago Tribune report on late Friday night.
Sayers claims he sometimes was sent back into the football games after suffering concussions and the football league, in general, didn’t do enough to protect him from the devastating concussive head traumas. Additionally, the lawsuit asserts fraudulent misrepresentation by the NFL as the league didn’t do enough to warn Sayers that playing with concussions could very well cause permanent brain damage.
The law suit is filed a month after the NFL settled with more than 4,500 former football players – no current players - who had filed suit against the league. In that lawsuit, the settlement reached totaled $765 million. In that settlement, however, the NFL did not admit to doing anything wrong.
How much Sayers is asking for in the lawsuit is not known.