What “future classics” emerged at the 2013 North American International Auto Show? Of the hundreds of new cars on display, which ones will attract a generation of classic car enthusiasts to auto museums and concours d’elegance events in the year 2063?
History tells us that vehicles that have a relative high initial cost and are built in relative limited numbers have the best chance of attaining classic status. High-performance, a classic heritage and celebrity endorsements are contributing factors.
Here is my list of probable future classics from this year’s show:
- 2014 Corvette Stingray - Has all the qualifications
- Ferrari F12 Berlinetta - Just the name guarantees classic status
- Cadillac ATS - Will it be remembered as the 2013 North American “Car of the Year?”
- Mercedes-Benz SLS Black AMG - Exotic, fast and accurate with gull-wing doors
- Bentley Continental GT Speed Convertible - Limited quantities, expensive and loved by movie & sports celebrities
- Jaguar XKF - Worthy successor to the classic XKE
- Lincoln MKC Concept - Could this be the last of the Lincoln line?