Given that he initially made his name backing Miles Davis during his electric phase, bassist Dave Holland has long had a reputation as a player of amazing breadth, equally fluid with raging fusion and straightahead acoustic material. But he's seldom been more on the edge than with the current version of his fusion band, Prism, a squalling, rhythm-fueled monster that distills most of what was great about electric jazz and leaves out the empty gestures.
The quartet was a revelation at the recent Monterey Jazz Festival, thanks largely to the combustive fretwork of guitarist Kevin Eubanks (Who knew he was holding that kind of fire inside as he traded jokes with Jay Leno?), so prepare to have your world rocked when the group hits SFJAZZ Center for a 7 p.m. Sunday show. Tickets are $25-$65.
Also worth noting on the Bay Area jazz scene this week:
- Saxophonist Dayna Stephens, an improviser of amazing fluency and imagination, and hard-charging pianist Pascal LeBoeuf lead their respective groups for an evening of bracingly contemporary jazz, 8 p.m. Tuesday at Yoshi's San Francisco. $24-$28
- Dynamic young pianist Julian Pollack performs with his trio, 8 p.m. Tuesday at Yoshi's Oakland. $16
- Brazilian visionary Vinicius Cantuaria sings original tunes, 8 p.m. Wednesday at Yoshi's San Francisco. $22-$25
- Pianist Roberta Piket draws on influences ranging from Chopin to Chick Corea in a solo perfomance, 8 p.m. Friday at Berkeley's Jazzschool. $12-$15
- Keith Jarrett and his Standards Trio, which can be one of the greatest jazz combos ever or a royal pain in the butt, roll the dice 8 p.m. Friday at Zellerbach Hall in Berkeley. $30-$125
- Drummer Scott Amendola and Hammond B3 organ whirlwind Wil Blades make smokin' club jazz, 9:30 p.m. Friday and Saturday at Duende in Oakland. $10
- Do-it-all pianist Larry Vukovich mixes Latin, bebop and European folk idioms with his Blue Balkan ensemble, performing 8 p.m. Saturday at Freight & Salvage Coffeehouse in Berkeley. $20.50-$22.50
- Scintillating vocalist Denise Perrier teams up with powerhouse pianist Tammy Hall for an 8 p.m. Saturday performance at the Sound Room in Oakland. $20-$25
Send tips, comments and good vibes to the author.