"Priscilla Queen of the Desert” rolls their bus to the San Diego Civic Theatre October 15th - 20th! In honor of the show, and the fact that this international hit has over 500 dazzling, 2011 Tony Award®-winning costumes, here is a short list of some fun facts of the creative costuming used to put this play on the stage
· Stephan Elliot, who wrote the book, screenplay and directed the original film, got the idea for the film “Priscilla” when he saw a feather blow off a drag queen’s headdress at Sydney Mardi Gras and roll down the street like an old Sergio Leone tumbleweed!
· In addition to a Tony Award® for their costume designs for the stage production of “Priscilla Queen of the Desert”, Costume Design team Tim Chappel and Lizzy Gardiner won an Oscar® for the film version. When accepting her Oscar®, Lizzy Gardiner wore a dress made entirely out of
American Express cards.
· The famous flip-flop dress from the movie “Priscilla” only cost $7.00. A reconstructed version of the dress is featured in the stage production as well.
· The song “It’s Raining Men” was originally offered to iconic pop divas Diana Ross, Donna Summer, Cher and Barbara Streisand, before being accepted by Martha Wash and Izora Armstead of The Weather Girls. Their version sold over 6 million copies worldwide.
· Since the 1970s, the Baltimore Orioles have played “Thank God I’m a Country Boy” during the seventh inning stretch of every game.
· The Broadway production of “Priscilla Queen of the Desert” used 295 ostrich feather plums in the costumes and headdresses.
· During the Broadway run, approximately 1,500 makeup remover wipes were used each week and 24 pairs of eye lashes for each performance; 175 tubes of lipstick, 75 pots of eye shadow and 2 pounds of glitter were used each month!
· 12 rolls of packing tape are used per week to remove glitter from lips!
· There are over 500 costumes, 60 wigs, 150 pairs of shoes and over 200 hats and headdresses in the show!
· There are close to 65 wigs changes in “Priscilla Queen of the Desert”, the fastest one around 15 seconds!
· “Priscilla Queen of the Desert” features 9 different styles of lashes, and the longest pair measured at 3.5” long.
Feathers, sequins, wigs, see the show and maybe you’ll leave with some fanatastic ideas for Halloween!
This show has adult themes and is suitable for mature audiences. Show times are Tuesday, October 15 and Wednesday, October 16 at 7pm, Thursday, October 17 at 7:30pm, Friday, October 18 at 8pm, Saturday October 19 at 2pm and 8pm, and Sunday, October 20 at 1pm and 6:30pm. For ticket information go to www.Broadwaysd.com.
Enjoy this read from San Diego Theater Examiner? Hit subscribe at the top of the page for regular updates! Interested in having your San Diego theater performance, venue, event or other local activity in the San Diego Theater guide? Send details toErinMarieatsdtheater.firstname.lastname@example.org or follow me on Twitter @SDTheaternews and Facebook