Broadway San Diego announced the amazing upcoming shows for their 2014-2015 season this week and it looks like a season you won’t want to miss!
This season proves that San Diego is a theater town that gets great tours because five of the six shows this season are also currently playing on Broadway in New York. The shows are filled with Grammy Award winning music – “Kinky Boots”, “Jersey Boys”, and “Wicked” have all won Grammy for Best Musical Theatre albums and “Motown” and “Dirty Dancing” have Grammy award winning songs in their scores!
September 23 - 28, 2014
• The Tony-winning and Grammy winning score was composed by Cyndi Lauper
• This show won six Tony Awards® including BEST MUSICAL!
• San Diego is one of the first markets to get this show when it starts the National Tour this year
• It is based on a inspirational true story of a failing show factory that turns itself around with some unconventional help
October 21 - 26, 2014
• This show made its world premiere at the La Jolla Playhouse –so this is a home coming for them!
• This is the first time the behind-the-scenes story of Frankie Valli and the Four Seasons has ever been told.
• The album has remained in the Top Three of Billboard’s Broadway Albums Chart every week since it went on sale in 2005 and the Cast Recording has been certified Platinum by the Recording Industry Association of America (RIAA).
• In 2007 this show won the San Diego won the San Diego Theatre Critics Circle’s Craig Noel Award for Best Touring Production.
January 6 - 11, 2015
• This has the quote everyone knows “Nobody puts Baby in a corner!”
• This tour just completed a hugely successful multi-record breaking nationwide tour across the UK and Ireland, which has been seen by over one million people since it launched in 2011.
May 5 - 10, 2015
• Rodgers + Hammerstein’s CINDERELLA is the Tony Award®- winning Broadway musical from the creators of "THE SOUND OF MUSIC" and "SOUTH PACIFIC"
• Even though this show has been around since 1957 the stage version made its debut on Broadway for the first time ever on January25, 2013
• It has had a cast of famous ladies wear the glass slipper, in 1957 Julie Andrews was in the original television musical, followed by Leslie Ann Warren in 1965, and Brandy in 1997
“MOTOWN THE MUSICAL”
June 9 - 14, 2015
• Show is based on the real story of Berry Gordy and Motown Records
• Some of the famous groups that came out of the Motown and are in the musical are The Jackson 5, The Supremes, Smokey Robinson, Marvin Gaye, and more!
• Berry Gordy’s journey started with his drive to become a featherweight boxer and ended up with him as a heavyweight music mogul
August 25 - 30, 2015
• Pippin has a score written by Tony nominee Stephen Schwartz who also wrote “Godspell” and “Wicked”
• Won the Tony Award® for BEST MUSICAL REVIVAL
• Ben Vereen (the namesake of the brand new competition –the Ben Vereen Awards) won the 1973 Tony Award® for Best Actor in a Musical as the Leading Player.
• Features sizzling choreography in the style of BOB FOSSE and breathtaking acrobatics
November 12 - December 7, 2014
• Has won over 50 major awards, including a Grammy® and three Tony® Awards.
• Similarities with Pippin – written by the same person, Stephen Schwartz, and Ben Vereen played the role of The Wizard of Oz in “Wicked” on Broadway in 2005
• By the end of 2013, the global phenomenon will have been performed in more than 100 cities in 13 countries around the world and has thus far been translated into five languages: Japanese, German, Dutch, Spanish and Korean.
• The show has so much prominence that Elphaba’s costume and broom are now on display in the American Stories exhibit at Smithsonian Institute in Washington, D.C.
Hopefully these fun facts have convinced you that there is more to each of these musicals than you may have originally known! For ticket information for this season go to www.Broadwaysd.com
Did you enjoy this read from San Diego Theater Examiner? Hit subscribe at the top of the page for regular updates! Interested in having your San Diego theater performance, venue, event or other local activity in the San Diego Theater guide? Send details to ErinMarie at email@example.com or follow me on Twitter @SDTheaternews and Facebook