Everywhere is filled with activity as folks scramble to prepare their homes for holiday entertaining. Adorning the abode for guests to admire can be a fun task that will not break the bank. With some ingenuity, creativity and cheer a beautifully appointed decor can be easily achieved ready to enjoy and entertain.
Fill the room with beauty, color and fragrance.
Oranges make the perfect design adornment during the holidays and beyond. A pair of oranges are traditionally given as gifts during the Chinese Lunar New Year period to represent auspiciousness and prosperity for the New Year to come. During the time of the Great Depression oranges were given as a special treat that would be relished as a gift since food and funds where in very short supply.
- Place clementines or oranges in a festive bowl or towered in a clear glass vase to be used as a table centerpiece. Add additional color with some green leaves and cranberries for a festive contrast. Now you will have a beautiful accessory that doubles as a nice snack for guests. As the oranges are peeled the fresh fragrance will fill the air.
Get the family and friends together for a fun decorating project that is creative, and budget and eco-friendly.
Decorating does not have to be expensive. You will appreciate how beautiful you can make your home simply by using ordinary items and repurposing them into beautiful new decor accessories.
- Create a beautiful wreath by cutting leaf shapes out of old book pages, magazines and newspapers. Fashion them into a wreath shaped collage and add a red bow as garnish.
- Dollar store bags of brightly wrapped candies can be magically transformed into garland simply by stapling the ends of the wrappers together. Use the garland to wrap around the tree, railing or to decorate a mantel.
- Gather up tree branches. Simply use them in their natural beauty or painted to add decor beauty in tall floor vases. Fashion them as rods to display holiday cards, Christmas stockings, ornaments and photos. They can be hung from the ceiling or on the wall.
Fill a bowl as a centerpiece or decorate a tree with handmade paper globes of varied sizes.
Just about any paper can be recycled into beautiful new decor. Paper of heavier weight does work best. This is the perfect time to find a use for old wall paper, wrapping paper, craft paper, magazines and pages from books.
- Cut paper into equal size strips; you can start with ½” x 4”.
- Stack the strips of paper and punch one hole in either end.
- Attach one brad through the top hole of the stack and another brad through the bottom hole keeping the head of the brad on the decorative side of the paper.
- Fan out the paper strips to create a ball.
- Attach a ribbon around a brad to hang.
Have fun decorating by spending a pleasurable time creating a lovely environment to live and entertain in. Enjoy the new accessories and never be afraid to dance!
Subscribe and enjoy reading all of my articles under the titles of Interior Decorating, Long Island Interior Design, Decorating, Arts & Exhibits, Lifestyle, as well as General Pets, Fashion Trends, and Long Island Prepper written for Examiner.com.