The time is now. January is over, the time for New Year’s resolutions has passed. Already, there may be a let down on some of the goals made at the beginning of the year.
Perhaps it is time to find what is most important, to make way for our dreams. Here are some things to think about: Have the dreams of the past been realized? Or have dreams come to naught? What is part of your dreams? Is it in the form of better relationships, travel, a new home or a new job?
Perhaps your dreams need a dusting off. This month, let us pull out our dream maker. Let us resurrect dreams we have most desired and look at them in the light of day. What dreams do we most believe to be ours? Let’s dream big!!!
On following up on our dreams, do the following:
- Discern what one thing is most wanted in the next five years.
- Analyze past failings. What stopped me in attaining this?
- What are my present obstacles and what steps may I take to get beyond problems?
- Plan ahead. Think of the steps that might be needed to achieve this dream.
- Based on the steps, create patterns of behavior that will lead to attainment of the dream
- Take one step, then another, then evaluate and readjust as necessary.
- Write out this plan and follow, making adjustments as needed.
Dreams are good to have, they add color and interest to our lives. They spark interest for us and often give us the passion we need to live.
In my past, I had once a dream of a job as a counselor. I knew I had an interest in this field but the door was not open to me. I did interview but was turned down. I came home disappointed. I thought all was lost until three months later, the hospital where I had initially interviewed, called me, and offered me a job. So for me, my dream came when I least expected.
Other dreams need more action steps. When I decided to quit smoking, I knew I needed to plan for every eventuality. I planned for what I could. I took steps and I put new patterns in place so that I was not so tied to the habit of smoking. And that time showed me that sometimes there is pain involved in finding fulfillment of our dreams.
I repeated these steps several times before I was successful. And I am so glad I did. I was able to carry out my dream.