We tried these delicious fudgy brownies at a party recently, and got the recipe from our friend Tammy Strom, who created them from recipes in the book Veganomicon and from Vegan Cookies invade Your Cookie Jar.
But don’t worry about these being “principled cookies,” only: they are absolutely delicious, witnessed by the fact that the party goers snapped them up in no time!
Tammy’s innovation in the brownie recipe was using raspberry Spreadable Fruit instead of the blueberry the book recommended and then spreading them with the vegan cream cheese topping before baking. In addition, she used almond milk (which has more flavor) over the soy milk the cookbook recommended.
- 2/3 cup miniature semisweet chocolate chips (to melt)
- 1/3 cup miniature semisweet chocolate chips (to mix in)
- 10 oz jar raspberry spreadable fruit
- ¼ cup almond milk
- 3/4 cup sugar
- ½ cup canola oil
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- ½ tsp almond extract
- 1 ½ cups flour
- ¼ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- ¼ tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ¼ tsp salt
- Preheat the oven to 325° F
- Grease a 9 x 13” baking pan, using non-stick spray
- Melt the 2/3 cup of chocolate chips in a microwave for about 1.5 minute at full power, stirring once. We used a glass pitcher to melt them in.
- In a mixing bowl or electric mixer bowl, combine the spreadable fruit, soy milk, sugar, canola oil and extracts. Mix for several minutes until all the lumps in the fruit have been smoothed out. Takes 2-3 minutes.
- Mix in the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Mix until uniform
- Mix in the melted chocolate and beat until smooth.
- Fold in the remaining ½ cup of chips and spread the batter into the greased baking pan.
Cream cheese topping
- 8 oz vegan cream cheese, softened
- ½ cup sugar
- 2 Tb arrowroot powder
- 1 Tb flour
- 1 ½ tsp vanilla
- 1/3 cup mini chocolate chips
- Mix the cream cheese and sugar in an electric mixer until smooth.
- Add the arrowroot powder, flour, and vanilla and mix until smooth.
- Pour over the brownie batter in the pan, and smooth out over the entire surface.
- Sprinkle the chocolate chips on top of the topping.
- Bake at 325° F for 45 minutes.
- Let the pan cool, then cover with foil and refrigerate for several hours or over night.
Cut the brownies and serve on a platter.