Runners across Wisconsin are warming up for the eventual spring thaw with tons of midwinter fitness events. Highlights for the last full weekend of February include snowy 5Ks, indoor races, snowshoe runs, and the popular American Birkebeiner cross-country skiing event.
As the Winter Olympics come to a close this weekend in Sochi, Russia, Wisconsin runners hit the bricks (or icy footpaths) for cold-weather races.
Catch a glance at this lineup of races and running events for Saturday, February 22, through Sunday, February 23.
For easy reference, these Wisconsin running events are listed alphabetically – by date.
- February 22 – Saturday – Schneelauf 5K Chili Run – Elkhart Lake, Wisconsin
- February 22 – Saturday – American Birkebeiner – 41st Annual – Hayward, Wisconsin
- February 22 – Saturday – Abominable Frostbite Footrace – Neenah, Wisconsin
- February 22 – Saturday – Cupcake Run – Marinette – Wisconsin
- February 22 – Saturday –Finnish Five (new date – rescheduled) – Madison, Wisconsin
- February 22 – Saturday – Yeti Dash Snowshoe Run – Cudahy, Wisconsin
- February 22 – Saturday – St. Joan of Arc Frostbite 5K / 10K – 7th Annual – Nashotah, Wisconsin
- February 22 – Saturday – Stride and Glide for Independence First – 5K Run/Walk and Wheelchair Race – Milwaukee, Wisconsin
- February 22 – Saturday – WABC Winter Indoor Track and Field Meet – Watertown, Wisconsin
- February 23 – Sunday – RecPlex Indoor Triathlon #2 – Pleasant Prairie, Wisconsin
- February 23 – Sunday – Stomp the Swamp Snowshoe Race – Wausau, Wisconsin
As always, race dates and venues may be subject to last-minute changes, particularly with frequent midwinter Midwestern weather surprises. Also, race-day registrations may be available at some locations, while others may have closed in advance. Participants and spectators are advised to double-check before setting out for these events.
Are you hosting another running event in the region on this date? Feel free to add details in a comment on this running roundup article.
Regional Run Organizers: Email me with your event details, at least a month in advance, for possible inclusion in upcoming articles. Please include flyers, if available, or tag me on your Facebook event pages.
Running Product Makers and Marketers: Have a top product available for review? Email me with sampling information.
Please note: Thank you for reading and for sharing the link to this article with others. Feel free to +1, Digg, Facebook, Pin, Stumble, Tweet, or otherwise pass the http link along. However, this content is copyrighted, so the actual article (or images) may not be copied and reposted on blogs, social networking sites, websites, or elsewhere.
Readers: You are invited to subscribe (confidentially and free, using the link provided above) to receive e-mail updates whenever this columnist publishes a new article. Feel free to follow on Google Plus and Twitter. You may wish to join this writer's fan page. Be sure to “like” the Running Examiner – Milwaukee and More page on Facebook for news, information, and inspiration for runners.
Writers: Want to learn how you can join Examiner as a columnist in your choice of cities and topics? Email me for details.