“The fashion world’s bracing for a battle,” revealed Page Six Magazine, with one insider even claiming, "the top 'editrixes' couldn't be seated near, or across from one another during Fashion Week." That dramatic story was published in the NewYork Post, September 2012, about Carine Roitfeld’s magazine launch. Naturally, they had to include comments about her social standing with Anna Wintour, right before Fashion Week.
This made me giggle and was just another reminder that New York Fashion Week is as much about status as it is about fashion. NYFW will be in full swing come September 5th, and front row seats will inform many where their social standing currently lies. According to a source at Business Insider, there is an entire dynamic behind who gets which seats at each show. Here’s a quick breakdown:
- The best seat is always in the front row. Celebrities are always front row center.
- The faces you don’t recognize in the front row belong to journalists with clout. Ms X will give publications such as The Wall Street Journal, Women’s Wear Daily, and The New York Times front row seats.
- The rest of the seats are divided into sections by sales, retail, Ms X’s personal friends, licensee partners, and (specific) bloggers.
- Every seat is determined by seniority, and one’s relationship with the brand. If you hope to go from standing room to sitting front-row and center, it’s going to take a lot of work, a lot of coverage of the brand, and maybe even befriending Ms X herself.
- Ms X has last-say on every decision.
If it really is up to “Ms X”, she has made some fantastic choices in the past. Such as the handsome Calvin Klein’s Men’s Collection Fall 2010 show when Jared Leto, Chace Crawford, and Mehcad Brooks made an impressive appearance.
This year, highly respected designer, Oscar De La Renta, has cut down his guest list in half (350) expressing, "I feel [inviting a more targeted audience] is the most manageable way and the most civilized way. Why have 20 million people with zero connection to the clothes?"
Being front row famous is going to take a bit of work this season.