- PHOTO CAPTION: "I'm wearin' me green- and St. Pat drove the snakes out of Ireland, not the parrots!"
- Paging Wile E. Coyote: Feral peach face lovebirds expanding their range in the deserts of Arizona. Some worry that these "exotic invasives" threaten native species like cactus wrens and woodpeckers. http://goo.gl/2ZEGv From WindyCityParrot.
- Parrots Barter With Nuts - City Parrots - (No, "nuts" does not refer to any "From the parrot's beak" editor) Thanks to Dennis Bohn.
- Sad news from the Alex Foundation: Arthur, one of two remaining African grey parrots at Dr. Irene Pepperberg's lab passed away from proventicular dilation disease (PDD) at 14 years of age. " The sadness we are experiencing due to his loss cannot easily be put into words. The lab will never be the same without his playful antics," says Dr. Pepperberg. Griffin is now the only bird being studied there. Fortunately, he has tested negative for the disease which took his companion. http://alexfoundation.org/2013/03/08/arthur/ Reported by Dr. Amy Hopkins and Karen Wingrove.
- Endangered species scorecard: The African grey parrot is prized for its genius for talking and companionship, but we know little of its life in the wild- key foods, conditions for breeding, how populations react to harvesting and trade. The African Grey Parrot Project is supported by Parrots International and UK's Manchester Metropolitan University. Simon Valle, from the MMU, is the principle investigator. Join Simon at the Parrots International Symposium in Los Angeles, 6/20-21. www.pisymposium.org The project focuses on the island of Principe in the Gulf of Guinea, where a secure, little-exploited population of grey parrots survives in the island's remaining forests. Principe is only about the size of Boston, Massachusetts, so the birds are "contained within" their landscape, and can be studied for all aspects of their biology Click to Donate to the African Grey Parrot Project Parrots International web site -- PI Press - the Parrots International Online Magazine Forwarded by Sheldon Orloff.-- Footage of New Zealand's kakapo parrot. A bird under a bush, eating plants. | the Internet Bird Collection From Barbara Heidenriech
- The International Parrotlet Society is closing after 21 years. While some bird clubs are healthy and thriving, IPS is not the only bird club on the ropes. Sandee L. Molenda, secretary for the club, offers this reason: "...in this day of Facebook, Twitter, blogs and online chat rooms, people no longer see a value in belonging to a bird club. After all, why pay dues when you can get information for free? Never mind that one has no idea whether or not the information is credible or is being given by an expert or professional, it's free, easy and one only has to put as much effort as logging onto their computer. Bird clubs require workers, volunteers, organizers.For me, as a founding member, it is very sad but one must accept reality." IPS is without a Board of Directors, down to one volunteer and cannot continue to legally operate. Dues refundable to current renewals, applications after 6/12.or those who paid for multiple years. Remaining funds to be donated to non-profit bird-related organization.
- HELP SAVE THE QUAKERS!! Feral quaker parrots have been an established, albeit incongruous, part of the Connecticut landscape for some thirty years. While many observers are charmed by their antics, they have critics- and even some mortal enemies.www.ctquakers.com
- Channeling Patsy Cline, Kiki the Blue Crowned Conure (parrot) singing to Crazy ... - YouTube --Crazy Koolaid runs after his ball! - YouTube -- A talented Czech cockatoo named Bertik. Long, but fun.Papoušek šikula - YouTube From our friends at The Parrot Club.
-The rosella is an ideal parrot for novice aviculturists as they are hardy, quite long-lived and, given the right conditions, will breed readily, according to "Australian BirdKeeper" magazine. .http://www.birdkeeper.com.au/CatalogueRetrieve.aspx?ProductID=1072850&A=SearchResult&SearchID=5376151&ObjectID=1072850&ObjectType=27
- (Slightly risque) parrot joke: A lady approaches a priest and says,"Father, I have a problem. I have two female parrots who only know how to say one thing - 'Hi, we're prostitutes. Do you want to have some fun?' " "That's terrible!" the priest exclaimed, "But I have a solution. Bring them to the rectory and I'll put them with my two male parrots who I taught to pray and read the bible." The next day, the lady brings her parrots to the rectory. The priest's male parrots are holding rosary beads and praying. The lady puts her female parrots in with them and the female parrots say, "Hi, we are prostitutes. Do you want to have some fun?" One male parrot looks at the other and exclaims, "Put the bibles away. Our prayers have been answered!" From Dawn Korpalski.
- Parrot trivia: "popinjay" is an archaic word for parrot - also referring to a "dandy" or foppish person- apparently because of their colorful attire. --Bonus trivia: James Dean was once photographed playing chess with a budgie on his shoulder. From WindyCityParrot.com.
- Sully the dancing, camera shy Goffin at MAARS - YouTube From Linda Bringle Pearl.
- From the mouths of babes- and the beaks of parrots: "Uuugh... that BIRD always has to get the last word in edgewise." From Melissa Reome's young son, Adam.
Clubbin': Wear your St. Patty's green.at the new Parrot Safari Club of New England meeting Sat. 3/16; 1-4:30 led by American Federation for Aviculture's northeast chair Concetta Ferragamo and bird enrichment expert Robin Shewokis, president of Leather Elves bird supplies in Weymouth, MA. Seminars, free wing and claw trimming (for members) and toys galore featured. Birds and supervised children welcome (be prepared to clean up after them). Best Western Executive Court Inn- Jefferson Meeting Conference Room, 13500 Willow St., Manchester, NH. $5.00 for members and $8.00 for nonmembers goes toward rental hall, equipment and snacks. Children under 12 free.--Connecticut Parrot Society needs gift certificates and donated items for their Featherfest tea cup auction on March 23rd. Email firstname.lastname@example.org or Lynne at email@example.com. -- Alan Sikes is guest speaker at the Baltimore Bird Fanciers Club; Sun. 3/17 2:00 at the Baltimore County Town Library in Towson.- David Longenbaugh speaks on The Wonders of Brazil March 21 7 pm St. Timothy’s Lutheran Church: NW corner of Copper and Jefferson $6 per person - refreshments will be served. You may pay at the door or send a check payable to CNMAS to CNMAS Birding Academy,PO Box 30002, Albuquerque, NM 87190-0002
- Showtime: Mass. Cage Bird Association Bird Mart Sun. 3/17 9-3 Holiday Inn's Wedgewood Room, 31 Hampshire St. Mansfield MA. Free admission and parking!-- Avicultural Society of America Avicultural Conference Queen Mary, 1126 Queens Highway, Long Beach, CA 90802 3/13-16 909-599-7577 firstname.lastname@example.org--Super Pet Expo 4320 Chantilly Shopping Center, Chantilly, VA 20153 (continues from Fri.) Sat. 3/16 10-7, Sun. 3/17 10-5 301-564-4050 email@example.com--Exotic Bird Fair Expo Ismailia Shine Center, 1600 Southwestern Blvd., Buffalo, NY 14224 3/16 10-4 419-685-2412 firstname.lastname@example.org--Smoky Mountain Cage Bird Society Bird Fair Collett Street Rec. Center, 300 Collett St., Morganton, NC 28655 Sat. 3/16 9-5, Sun. 3/17 9-4 828-433-8036 -email@example.com--Reading Pet Expo Greater Reading Expo Center, 2525 North 12 Street, Reading, PA 19605 Fri. 3/22 4-9, Sat. 3/23 10-7, Sun. 3/24 10-5 800-677-4677 firstname.lastname@example.org--Connecticut Parrot Society Featherfest Elks Club, 44 Maynard Street, Middletown, CT 06457 Sat. 3/2 10-5 860-621-5790 email@example.com--Atlanta’s Exotic Bird Fair North Atlanta Trade Center, 1700 Jeurgens Court, Norcross, GA 30093 -Sat 3/23 9-5, Sun. 3/24 10-4- 770-279-9899 firstname.lastname@example.org
- Read 'em and weep: "Snowball the Dancing Cockatoo" by "Boston Globe" correspondent Sy Montgomery book orders now include a bonus DVD. http://www.birdbraingifts.com/content/14-snowball-the-dancing-cockatoo-s-new-bookJ-- "The Voyages of Black Beak"...these are the voyages of the pirate ship Golden Wing. Its bold new mission to explore foreign seas, to search out adventure, to go where no parrot has gone before. (check out the Black Beak Saga books on Amazon or Barnes & Noble).-- "Perfectly Trained Parrot" is a new book due out this summer. by Rebecca K. O'Connor (now there's a fine Irish name!)-- The latest "Winged Things" edited by Karen Wingrove has some great articles- if you are not already a subscriber, contact email@example.com
- Bird people: "Knowing my limits" http://parrotnation.com/2013/03/07/knowing-my-limits/ a Patricia Sund; who also brings us- a NON-recipe for chop.http://parrotnation.com/2012/03/10/recipe-schmecipe/ --Hope they bring back some Vienna finger cookies: “Practical Application of Animal Training” Vienna and Bad Voeslau, Austria. Speakers include Barbara Heidenreich, Sabrina Brando and Martina Schiestl. Hosted by the Department of Cognition at the University of Vienna and Vet Med Vienna. Visit this link for more information and to register for theory days only http://www.animaltraining-ms.com/
- Showtime: Reading Pet Expo Greater Reading Expo Center, 2525 North 12 Street, Reading, PA 19605 -Fri. 3/22 4-9, Sat. 3/23 10-7, Sun. 3/24 10-5 800-677-4677 firstname.lastname@example.org--Connecticut Parrot Society Featherfest Elks Club, 44 Maynard Street, Middletown, CT 06457 -3/23 10-5 860-621-5790 email@example.com -Atlanta’s Exotic Bird Fair North Atlanta Trade Center, 1700 Jeurgens Court, Norcross, GA30093 - Sat. 3/23 9-5, Sun. 3/24 10-4 - 770-279-9899 - firstname.lastname@example.org
- Rescue me: - Behind The Parrot Zoo (Animal cruelty) - YouTube is from Diane Dwyer.-- Parrot adoption servicesvounteers desperately needed in Georgia; perfect for someone with computer access, can respond to questions within 24 hours, and does not mind going into a stranger's home. If there is enough interest, there will be a training session after the Open House on May 4, pizza included! Email Miss Vicki's Parrot Village, Inc at email@example.com. -- Midwest Avian Adoption & Rescue Services, Inc. (MAARS also has volunteer opportunities. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Oops, we goofed: ITEM 1:Picky, picky picky: Apparently a few beaks were knocked out of joint when last week's "From the parrot's beak" referred to Robin Shewokis as a "bird behavior specialist". Technically speaking she is a bird ENRICHMENT specialist".-- ITEM 2: Ehhhh, what's up, doc?:" Last week's "From the parrot's beak" column included a quote from an anonymous source inadvertently described as a veterinarian. She is actually a doctor of people (Oops, another clue.)
- This week's last word: CharlieO The Praying Parrot - Now I Lay Me Down To ... - YouTube From Diane Dwyer. Say good night, Charlie O. "Goodnight, Charlie O."