If you’re a fitness enthusiast looking to take care of your skin using only products made with natural, organic ingredients, look no further than your kitchen. From dry skin to breakouts, it’s incredibly likely that you’ve already got the solution in your refrigerator or pantry. Read on to find out how slathering on the yogurt and exfoliating with oatmeal can help fight common skin issues, without an ingredients list that you need a decoder ring to read (just make sure you use organic products so you don’t wind up moisturizing with pesticides!).
- Oatmeal. As mentioned, oatmeal is a great exfoliant and moisturizer, which is why it’s frequently found in soaps and lotions. To get these benefits from the basic ingredients, make a paste of rolled oats and water and use it as you would any other facial scrub. The oatmeal will leave your skin feeling fresher and less dry, and will help protect it from the elements.
- Cinnamon. In combination with honey, cinnamon can get rid of pimples like nobody’s business. Make a thick paste of the two ingredients, dab it on, and rinse after 20 minutes.
- Eggs. Sounds weird, but this recipe for a clay and egg mask will help you whip up a facial mask that will also shield your freshened visage from wind and sun damage next time you head outside.
- Yogurt. A combination of lactic acid and antibacterial/antifungal properties make yogurt a fantastic defender against acne flare-ups, as well as an all-around moisturizer and toner. Use it like a facial mask - after it dries, just rinse it off and enjoy softer, soothed skin.
- Olive Oil. Next time you get olive oil on your hands while cooking, rub it in instead of rinsing it off! Packed with antioxidants, olive oil is one of nature’s best moisturizers.
- Green Tea. Freeze some strong-brewed green tea into cubes, and use them as a toner. This is a great way to cool off after a workout that will also help firm up your skin with free-radical-fighting powers.
- Brown Sugar. For a one-two punch of exfoliation and moisturizing, combine brown sugar with your favorite oil and use it as an all-over body scrub.