Some of them are vegetarians, while others are vegans. But what the celebrities profiled here have in common: They follow plant-based diets that benefit their bodies, the planet and animals.
From Ellen DeGeneres to Usher, find out which of your favorite stars believe in plant-based power:
I personally chose to go vegan because I educated myself on factory farming and cruelty to animals, and I suddenly realized that what was on my plate were living things, with feelings. And I just couldn’t disconnect myself from it any longer.
- Ellen credits a milestone book for helping her switch: "Diet for a New America: How Your Food Choices Affect Your Health, Happiness and the Future of Life on Earth" (click for details).
I have been a vegetarian since I was like … 12. But [being vegan] has been something that, for the past four years, has at times been consistent, other times less so …
[Being vegan] is not always easy and accessible, but it’s a way of life and makes me as a person feel really good and physically look better. My skin was better, energy was better.
- Olivia credits Alicia Silverstone for guiding her on the path to going vegan with Alicia's book "The Kind Diet: A Simple Guide to Feeling Great, Losing Weight, and Saving the Planet" (click for details).
I had a lot of quirks as a child. One was that I didn’t like to eat meat: I didn’t like to chew it, didn’t like the taste or smell of it, and just wasn’t having any of it. I was in the minority of kids who actually loved fruits and vegetables."
- Kristen also says that "Forks Over Knives" inspired her to go vegan, as well as persuading her husband Dax Shepard. It's a documentary and also a book: "Forks Over Knives: The Plant-Based Way to Health" (click for details)
- "Usher frequents a few vegan restaurants in New York City and not only loves the food, but feels like it’s the healthiest way to live,” a source told Radar Online.
- "I am a vegan but I consider myself to be a practical vegan," she told Entertainment Wise. "If I order something on a menu and it has a sprinkling of cheese on top I'm not going to send it back."