Some of them are vegetarians, while others are vegans. But what the celebrities profiled here have in common: They follow plant-based diets that benefit their bodies, the planet and animals.
From Ellen DeGeneres to Usher, find out which of your favorite stars believe in plant-based power:
- Ellen DeGeneres: “I personally chose to go vegan because I educated myself on factory farming and cruelty to animals, and I suddenly realized that what was on my plate were living things, with feelings. And I just couldn’t disconnect myself from it any longer."
Ellen credits a milestone book for helping her switch: "Diet for a New America: How Your Food Choices Affect Your Health, Happiness and the Future of Life on Earth" (click for details).
- Olivia Wilde: "I have been a vegetarian since I was like … 12. But [being vegan] has been something that, for the past four years, has at times been consistent, other times less so … [Being vegan] is not always easy and accessible, but it’s a way of life and makes me as a person feel really good and physically look better. My skin was better, energy was better.”
Olivia credits Alicia Silverstone for guiding her on the path to going vegan with Alicia's book "The Kind Diet: A Simple Guide to Feeling Great, Losing Weight, and Saving the Planet" (click for details).
- Kristen Bell: This vegan actress notes: "I had a lot of quirks as a child. One was that I didn’t like to eat meat: I didn’t like to chew it, didn’t like the taste or smell of it, and just wasn’t having any of it. I was in the minority of kids who actually loved fruits and vegetables."
Kristen also says that "Forks Over Knives" inspired her to go vegan, as well as persuading her husband Dax Shepard. It's a documentary and also a book: "Forks Over Knives: The Plant-Based Way to Health" (click for details)
- Usher: "Usher frequents a few vegan restaurants in New York City and not only loves the food, but feels like it’s the healthiest way to live,” a source told Radar Online.
- Carrie Underwood: Carrie calls herself a practical vegan.
"I am a vegan but I consider myself to be a practical vegan," she told Entertainment Wise. "If I order something on a menu and it has a sprinkling of cheese on top I'm not going to send it back."