1. Life
  2. Home & Living
  3. Decorating

Freshen up the look of your home on a budget

Reuse books in your home to create a unique display table

The economy may look tired but your home doesn't have to. Here are some cost efficient ways to spruce up your home without hurting your budget. You can either buy new, reuse or recycle to makeover your home.

Because times are tough, buying new items for your home can easily be done by heading to garage sales or discount stores such as the "Dollar Tree," "TJ Maxx," "Burlington Coat Factory" or "Ross." From placemats to chairs, believe it or not, you'll be able to find fine home fashions at a margin of the cost you would find in a department store.

If purchasing new is completely out of the question, try reusing items from different rooms to freshen up the look of your home. For instance, try taking items such as vases, art work, rugs, books, chairs and pillows from one room in your home and relocate them to another. This will allow you to fall back in love with pieces that appeared to have moved to the back of a room over time.

Next, have you heard of the expression "another person's trash is another person's treasure?" Try recycling pieces from your home with pieces in a friend's home. This will give both of your interiors a nice face lift. Actually, chances are that if you swapped living room furniture with one another, no one would guess where your "new" sofas came from! How fun does that sound?!

Don't forget that when the times get tough, you need to get smarter about how you can get that new look in your home "without breaking the bank!"

Comments

• Beach Chick 4 years ago

I love these tips and hope to trade home décor items with my neighbor barb soon. Thx and I hope to read more from you.

• Mr. Interested 4 years ago

WOW! i am very inspired by your writing and hope to see more articles like this! Great tips, i will definitely use these here in the next few days in my new home. Thank you

• Design Darling 4 years ago

Fantastic tips! My home has been looking a bit dull lately and i sure that these will help spruce it up! My buddy has been having some of the same problems and maybe I can get her to trade with me! I had never even thought about it! I really hope to read another article

• Carmen Waldek 4 years ago

That's a brilliant idea.... Hey, girlfriends, let's have a swop party soon....

• VEXAN TEXAN 4 years ago

In a million years I never would have thought to trade home furnishings with my friends! That is suck an amazing idea! Things are starting to look a little dull and boring in my home! Now I have just the idea thanks to you! I look forward to hearing more decorating tips from you!

• Jennifer Waite - Tucson Rock Music Examiner 4 years ago

Nice job!

• Cheryl Phillips National Social Networking Examine 4 years ago

Love the swap idea! Great! I use books to decorate all the time--esp big colorful ones that are often on the clearance table at Borders. Art books are my favorite!

Love these tips! Maybe I could share these to my clients in this challenging economy.

Life

• Randy Travis
    Randy Travis returns with 'Influence Vol. 2: The Man I Am' in August
    Today's Buzz
  • Alternative medicine
    Alternative medicine: Remedies to make the bugs in your body go away for good
    Camera
    7 Photos
  • Beach body
    Fitness: Earn your beach body badge with bootcamp classes
    Camera
    10 Photos
  • Back to school
    These 10 items are sure winners on your back-to-school shopping trip
    Camera
    12 Photos
  • Izabel Goulart
    Izabel Goulart walks the runway with Studio F at Colombia Moda
    Camera
    19 Photos
  • Ombre' technique
    Go for the gusto: What ombre' technique are you?
    Camera