It's time to start thinking about back to school nutrition, and if you're into simple and delicious cooking, the following homemade fresh tomato sauce recipe offers the perfect way to savor summer's finest tomatoes at their peak of flavor. This recipe only calls for 5 ingredients (plus salt and pepper) is Party Girl Diet approved, and will serve as a nutritious and delicious homemade spaghetti sauce recipe for your back to school pasta and pizza creations.
Watch the California Living TV segment on the left to learn how to make the homemade fresh tomato sauce recipe for pasta and pizza below, which originally aired primetime on California Living™ Bay Area wide:
Recipe compliments of Executive Chef Graziano Perozzi, Petaluma, CA
- 4 Large on the vine tomatoes
- 1/4 extra virgin olive oil
- 8 oz. white wine
- 3 large shallots, minced
- You can also add 2 garlic cloves, minced (optional)
- 1 bunch loosely cut fresh basil
- Approximately 8 oz. water
- 2 tsp. sea salt and fresh cracked black pepper to taste
1. Cut a small X on top of 4 ripe, large, on the vine tomatoes – place in boiling water (boil for approx. 2 minutes to blanch – remove from water and pull off skin – dice.
2. Place approximately 1/4 cup of extra virgin olive in a large saute pan and saute 3 large shallots, minced (and optional minced garlic).
3. Once onions are clear in color – add diced tomatoes to pan – one 8 oz. glass of white wine and approximately 8 oz. of water.
4. Add 1 bunch loosely cut fresh basil and 2 tsp. each sea salt and black pepper.
5. For a fresh marinara style tomato sauce, simmer for about 20 minutes (or if you like a thicker sauce - about 2 hours) – the longer it cooks the thicker the sauce will be.
Serve with your favorite pasta, use as a fresh tomato sauce for pizza, or serve with spaghetti and meatballs ... Manga ~ Aprilanne
Back to School Nutrition Tips: Bursting with anti-oxidants, phyto-nutrients, and fresh just picked off the vine flavor – this Party Girl Diet approved Fresh Tomato Sauce Recipe is the perfect companion to Authentic Italian Meatballs & Spaghetti.
Tomatoes are a major source of the Antioxidant Lycopene which is thought to reduce the risk of Cancer by 40 % – notably prostate, lung, and stomach cancer and increase survival.
Double the above fresh tomato sauce recipe and freeze the leftovers so you will have a batch of homemade fresh tomato sauce on hand for a pasta or pizza dinner in a jiffy.
You may also enjoy: