Have you ever had fresh mozarella cheese? It's a completely different animal contrasted to the rubbery cousin you may be used to eating. This appetizer combines this year's bumper crop of tomatoes with your garden basil and fresh mozzarella. It's a quick and satisfying Italian appetizer or light meal. You can find a nice big ball of fresh mozarella cheese at your local Giant, Stauffers of Kissel Hill, or Oregon Dairy markets.
This dish is so simple and elegant. Angela Anderson of Millersville serves it regularly to her frequent guests.
- fresh mozzarella cheese
- fresh tomatoes
- fresh basil
- extra virgin olive oil
- balsamic vinegar
- Slice the tomatoes and the fresh mozarella cheese into 1/4 inch slabs.
- Arrange slices on a platter, alternating cheese and tomato.
- Slice basil leaves into ribbons. Sprinkle on top.
- Drizzle extra virgin olive oil over the top. Add a few dashes of balsamic vinegar over the sliced lovelies.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.