French toast is a treat from childhood that most people still enjoy on occasion. The basic ingredients of a French toast recipe are few and the recipe is fairly simple; however there are secrets out there that will make this nostalgic breakfast even better.
So what can be such a big secret to improve the basic French toast recipe? You’ll be surprised to hear that it’s simply adding flour to the egg mixture. This thickens up the egg mixture that you use to coat the bread.
French toast with a secret ingredient
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour (this is the secret)
- 1 cup milk
- 1 pinch salt
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon white sugar
- 12 thick slices bread
- Measure flour into a large mixing bowl. Slowly whisk in the milk. Whisk in the salt, eggs, cinnamon, vanilla extract and sugar until smooth.
- Heat a lightly oiled griddle or frying pan over medium heat.
- Soak bread slices in mixture until saturated. Cook bread on each side until golden brown. Serve hot.
- For an adult version: double the cinnamon, add 2 pureed bananas and a shot of dark rum or Grand Mariner.
- The addition of flour is pretty unusual, but it works beautifully to thicken up the egg mixture for a thicker and more flavorful coating.
- Butter flavored Crisco works well for frying the French toast. It has a nice flavor and will not burn the bread like margarine or butter can.
Remember that French toast doesn't have to be just served at breakfast. It makes for a wonderful dinner as well. Try making French toast soon with the secret ingredient and see if your family notices a difference.
Thanks for reading Raleigh Food! Click here to subscribe to this column and you’ll get an email each time a new article is published.
Do you ever wish you had the chance to write articles about things that interest you? Look into Examiner! It’s a great way to make some extra money and it’s a lot of fun. Follow this link and see if it’s right for you!