Thanks to the generosity of The J. M. Smucker Company, gallery admission is free every Thursday of the month from 11 a.m. to 9 p.m. The variety of programs offered include art talks, films, classes, concerts, and other special events.
When announcing the new Thursday programming idea, Museum Executive Director and CEO Mark Masuoka said, “As we re-vision the museum’s role in the community, we acknowledged that everyone deserves an exciting and enriching art experience and this generous gift from Smucker's provides the museum staff valuable resources to enhance visitors’ engagement and their connection to the creative process. Free Thursday programs will make art relevant to audiences of all ages.”
The Akron Art Museum encourages families to explore the world of art with their various "Family Art Guides" available in Adobe pdf form on their website. When planning a visit to the museum, you can download them here at http://akronartmuseum.org/family/. They'll help you make the most out of your visit and areas of interest include:
- Amazing Architecture - focuses on the design of the original building and how it looks now.
- Awesome Action - details the variety of movement that artists portray in their work.
- Water Works - pieces that feature water or were inspired by it.
- Arty Animals - animals, people and objects that are a part of an artists' work.
- Time Travel - take a glimpse of the past and imagine the future.
- Family Backpacks - stop by the Visitor Services desk and pick yours up today! It's filled with hands-on activities to make your visit even extra special.
The Akron Art Museum is located at One South High, Akron, Ohio 44308. You may contact the museum at (330) 376-9185 or via email at mail@AkronArtMuseum.org.
Wednesday - Sunday: 11am - 5pm
Thursday: 11am - 9pm
Closed Monday & Tuesday
Closed on most major holidays.
Visit AkronArtMuseum.org for further information.