There are 401 national parks in the United States, but only 133 of the parks charge an entrance fee. But six times a year, you can visit those parks for free.
You can save the $25 per vehicle entrance fee to the Grand Canyon, $10 per person fee at Denali, the $20 per vehicle entrance fee at Yosemite, along with entry fees at the other national parks.
The following is a list of the 2014 entrance fee-free dates:
- January 20 - Martin Luther King Jr. Day
- February 15-17 - Presidents Day weekend
- April 19-20 - opening weekend of National Park Week
- August 25 - National Park Service Birthday
- September 27 - National Public Lands Day
- November 11 - Veterans Day
Looking for a list of all the national parks that are waiving their entrance fees? You can find the list of national parks that are participating in the free entrance days here.
For more travel tips and travel insights, click here to subscribe to the San Diego Travel Insights Examiner or like the San Diego Travel Insights Facebook page.