Looking for free mulch-compost for your spring garden? The City of Fort Worth in Tarrant County has a great recycling program whereby they offer residents free mulch-compost at the city’s Solid Waste Services Recycling Drop-Off Centers.
If you don't live in the Fort Worth area, check with your own city or county recycling centers to see if they offer free mulch to residents. Also, most parks or forestry departments often provide wood chip piles free for residents to pick up.
If you prefer the DIY route, watch the video above-left to learn How to Make Your Own Mulch.
According to Solid Waste Services,
- Fort Worth residents may pick up free mulch-compost at any of the three drop-off stations.
- Mulch-compost piles are clearly labeled, and are self-serve. Bring a sturdy container and a shovel.
- If you use a pickup truck, you must use a tarp to cover the free mulch-compost load to prevent litter while driving the route to your spring garden.
- Mulch-compost is an excellent addition to any landscape. It protects plants from temperature extremes, deters weed growth and helps retain moisture so you can water less often. Using the free mulch-compost from Solid Waste in your spring garden is a good way to do your part in recycling.
- Drop-off stations are open to Fort Worth homeowners and some renters for disposal of trash, spring garden yard trimmings and brush and recycling items and for pick-up of free mulch-compost.
- To use a drop-off station, show a recent Fort Worth water bill or current driver’s license with a Fort Worth address to prove you have an active sanitation account.
- Renters with a Fort Worth address may use drop-off stations if they have a current Fort Worth water bill. Apartment renters may use the stations for recycling only.
Locations (click on address for maps
- Brennan Drop-off Station 2400 Brennan Ave.
- Southeast Drop-off Station 5150 Martin Luther King Freeway
- Old Hemphill Road Drop-off Station 6260 Old Hemphill Road
- Monday-Friday: 8 a.m.-6 p.m.
- Saturday: 8 a.m.-5 p.m.
- Closed Sunday
- Closed Thanksgiving Day, Christmas Day and New Year's Day. Stations close at 5 p.m. the day before holidays.
Source: Solid Waste Services