Have you heard the news? According to a Denver Westword article published on Aug. 19, 2013, a special day of the year is coming up and Americans are in the mood to celebrate! If you are looking for the perfect beverage to whet your whistle during the dog days of summer, you better go grab your glass. August 20 is National Lemonade Day, an annual holiday that celebrates a classic American drink - lemonade!
While the origins of this holiday are unknown, folks have been enjoying lemonade for centuries! Lemonade is a tart yet sweet drink that is the favorite go-to beverage of choice for fair-goers. While classic lemonade is typically made with lemons, water and sugar, lemonade is now available in a wide variety of refreshing flavors.
In honor of National Lemonade Day, some businesses and restaurants will be turning lemons into lemonade by offering special deals on delicious drinks - and some for a very good cause.
Lemonade Deals Across the U.S.A.
- Participating 7-Eleven locations will be giving away FREE 16-ounce Snapple Lemon Daze drinks in honor of National Lemonade Day! Just download the free 7-Eleven mobile app to receive your free mobile coupon. But you better hurry - this offer is while supplies last.
- Participating Hot Dog on a Stick locations will be offering their regular-sized fresh lemonade drinks for $1 on Aug. 20, 2013, from 4 - 8:00 p.m. One offer per customer.
- Participating Red Robin Gourmet Burger restaurants will be serving up FREE samples of its Freckled Lemonade, a delicious blend of strawberries and lemonade. Red Robin will host lemonade stands across the country and will be collecting donations for Alex's Lemonade Stand Foundation (ALSF), a non-profit organization created by four-year-old cancer patient, Alex Scott, which helps raise money to find a cure for children with cancer.
- Participating Walgreen locations will be setting up Alex's Lemonade Stands in various areas of the United States from Aug. 23 - 25, 2013. Paper lemons will also be on sale.
- Auntie Anne's will be kicking off a Happy Hour fundraising event which will run from Aug. 20 through Sept. 26, 2013. Just stop by on Tues. or Thurs. from 2 - 4:00 p.m., purchase a $1 lemon icon and a 21-ounce soda or lemonade and get a FREE pretzel plus a coupon for your next visit.
- Folks who stop by participating Applebee's on Aug. 20, 2013, will receive a complimentary glass of lemonade while listening to an important message from Liz and Jay Scott.
- Participating Lemonade restaurant locations will donate proceeds from all its Aug. 20 lemonade sales to the Painted Turtle organization, a special camp for kids. And if the kiddies plan on setting up their own lemonade stand, be sure to share your photos online for a chance to win Lemonade for up to 500 people!
And speaking of lemonade, be sure to whip up one or two of these fabulous Lemonade Drinks and Cocktail Recipes.