Celebrate "Talk Like a Pirate" Day on Sept. 19, 2013 by scoring free loot at Krispy Kreme Doughnuts.
The popular doughnut shop is offering a free glazed donut to anyone who talks like a pirate.
If you want an even bigger bounty, dress up like a pirate and you will walk away with a free dozen Original Glazed doughnuts.
While a simple "Yo Ho!" or "Ahoy Matey!" will score you one free doughnut, you will have to kick it up a notch to get a whole dozen for free.
Dig out that old Halloween costume or show up wearing at least three of the items below to get a dozen doughnuts without spending a single doubloon.
- Eye Patch
- Pirate Hat
- Peg Leg
- Parrot On Shoulder
- Pirate Shirt/ Loose White Shirt
- Leather Belt
- Silver And Gold Necklaces And Earrings
- Pirate Hook
- Pointy Black Boots Or Ragged Brown Sandals
Need some help with your "pirate-speak"?
Here are some simple terms that will help you get a free donut if you don't feel like dressing up on Thursday.
- Avast: A nautical term meaning “What’s up?” or “What are you doing?”
- Sea Dog: Experienced sailor.
- Jolly Roger:The pirate flag with its skull and crossbones.
- Scallywag: Bad person.
- Piece of Eight: Spanish silver coin, often cut into pieces to make change.
- Walk the Plank: A dire punishment in which one must walk off a wooden board on the side of a ship and fall into the ocean.
- Doubloon: A gold coin minted by Spain or Spanish colonies, worth about seven weeks’ pay for an average sailor.
- Shiver Me Timbers: An expression of surprise or fear.
This annual pirate holiday started back in 1995 when John Baur (Ol’ Chumbucket) and Mark Summers (Cap’n Slappy) of Albany, Oregon proclaimed the 19th September as the day when everyone in the world should talk like a pirate.