Started in 1938 as a fund raiser for the Chicago Salvation Army, National Doughnut (or Donut) Day has been celebrated ever since. The original goal was to help the needy during the Great Depression, and to honor the Salvation Army women of World War I, who among their other duties, served doughnuts to soldiers.
This Friday, June 4th, Baltimore Doughnut shops, as well as other establishments across the U.S. will be celebrating in the tastiest way possible, by giving away free doughnuts!
Local Baltimore Dunkin Donuts will be helping to celebrate by giving away a free doughnut with every beverage purchase all day today. You can even RSVP on Facebook . Krispy Kremes mostly have closed in our area but there still is one in Rockville and more towards DC. If you are near one they are giving away a free doughnut of your choice! For More information and to find the participating Dunkin Donuts or Krispy Kreme locations near you, please visit the following links:
Dunkin Donuts on the web:
Krispy Kreme on the web:
What's a National Doughnut Day without some fun with the kids? Besides all the tasty treats you can get for free there are many awesome Doughnut toys for fun all year round.
- Childrens Playtime Sweet Treats by Pinkerton Designs are handmade from felt!
- Simpson's Edition of Spoons Card Game comes complete with iconic donuts used in game play.
- Melissa and Dough Wooden Doughnut Set is perfect for any little chef in training!
- Learning Resources Mix and Match Donuts can be used as a game or in pretend kitchen play.
- Streetz Donut Dash by Mega Bloks is sure to be a hit with the boys!
Hope you have a happy, and tasty, National Doughnut Day!