To introduce local cooks and food lovers to their new facility, San Francisco Cooking School is hosting a free open house – including four free demonstration classes -- from noon to 3:00 p.m., Saturday, January 19th at their spacious new Civic Center campus in San Francisco.
The crown jewels of the new school are their Professional Certificate programs in Culinary Arts and Pastry Arts, which include a three-month externship with a top restaurant partner. Among the new school’s deans are Daniel Patterson (Coi, Plum, Plum Bar), Craig Stoll (Delfina, Locanda, Pizzeria Delfina) and Bill Corbett (Absinthe, Boxing Room, Arlequin, and Comstock Saloon).
But the big news is that their culinary jewelry box offers plenty of gems for home cooks and food lovers, too – a slate of over 75 cooking classes, demonstrations and events with culinary notables in the school’s professional kitchens and lecture spaces. It’s the largest program of hands-on cooking classes in the Bay area.
The Saturday open house includes four free demonstrations classes in the recreational kitchen, where you’ll get the meet the instructors and take a closer look at the class offerings. And while you’re there, register to win a cooking class certificate, valued at $160.
Here’s the Saturday open house demonstration line-up:
- 12:15 p.m. – Greek Kale Salad with Meyer Lemon and Feta
- 1:00 p.m. – Chocolate Pinwheel Cookies
- 1:45 p.m. – Warm Cheese Gougeres
- 2:30 p.m. – Creamy Carrot Soup with Curry and Lime
Curious about the bigger picture? Here’s an overview of upcoming SF Cooking School classes and events :
- Beginners Welcome - Classes designed to build basic skills and confidence in the kitchen, including Cooking 101, Bread 101, and Pasta 101
- Fundamentals and Advanced Techniques - Informative and intensive classes to meet the demanding food culture of the Bay Area, including Fundamentals Series: Asian, Italian, Shellfish, Cooking with Ratios, and Advanced Sauce Techniques
- Best of Bay - Notable local food talents sharing their expertise including Tacolicious, Betelnut, Bi-Rite Creamery, and Locanda
- Dinner Party Series - Might be the best soirees you’ve ever attended. Prep, cook and eat. Including, Steakhouse, French Bistro, and Italian Sunday Supper
- Global Cuisine Series - Hands-on exploration of the pantry, techniques, utensils and signature dishes of a specific global cuisines, including India, France and Vietnam
- Make-and-Take - The DIY series where you make and take home, including Cookies, Pickling & Preserves and Dinner Prep
- Cook the Book. Celebrating some of the best local restaurants through their cookbooks. Ad Hoc at Home, Slanted Door, Modern Vietnamese Cooking, Kokkari, Contemporary Greek Flavors and SPQR.
The full schedule is featured at the San Francisco Cooking School website. Classes range from $85 to $720 for single and multi-day courses.