On the third weekend (Saturday and Sunday) of each month, through June, everyone receives FREE admission to the Atlanta History Center courtesy of Bank of America Free Admission Weekends. This also includes admission to "Slavery at Jefferson’s Monticello: How the Word is Passed Down."
This month, in conjunction with the Bank of America Free Admission Weekend, the Atlanta History Center is featuring their "Citizens and Soldiers: The American Civil War" program (Saturday only). Visitors will be able to experience reenactments, weapon demonstrations, home front activities and encampment on their 1860s farm, and enjoy tours of their award-winning Civil War exhibition.
Program highlights from the Atlanta History Center website:
• Noon at Kennedy Theater; Genealogy Program
Brad Quinlin, author and genealogist, speaks about United States Colored Troops (USCT) burial in the National Cemetery at Kennesaw. Quinlin has successfully identified several previously unknown burials.
• 2:00 PM at Woodruff Auditorium; AHC Lecture
Steve Davis, What the Yankees Did to Us: Sherman’s Bombardment and Wrecking of Atlanta
• 2:00 PM at McElreath Hall; StoryCorps
Stop by the StoryCorps table to discover the importance of sharing your history.
• Meet the Past; experience gallery based character performances in the museum and at the farm.
Discover the trials and triumphs of individuals living during the American Civil War including Citizens Carrie Berry, Celeste Smith, Jasper Smith, and a 44th Regiment soldier.
• Firing demonstrations, enlisting and marching activities representing both Union and Confederate soldiers presented by the Armory Guard.
• Play dress up!
Reenactors help you to explore the clothes and don the style of 1860s.
• Bread riot activity
• Inflation activity
• Cartridge rolling activity
• Self-guided tours of Tullie House at Smith Family Farm
• Guided tours of award-winning exhibition, Turning Point: The American Civil War.
Tours led by Senior Military Historian and curator, Dr. Gordon Jones.
• Explore the new exhibition, Slavery at Jefferson’s Monticello: How the Word is Passed Down
What: Bank of America Free Admission Weekend
When: Saturday, March 16th 10:00-5:30; Sunday March 17th 12:00-5:30
What: Citizens and Soldiers: The American Civil War
When: Saturday, March 16th 11:00-4:00