God said, "Let Earth bring forth grass, the herb that yields seed, and the fruit tree that yields fruit according to its kind, whose seed is in itself, on the Earth." Genesis 1:11
In 2007 then candidate Obama vowed to "...let folks know when their food is genetically modified, because Americans have a right to know what they are ." In typical fashion; he was not to be trusted. This year he appointed Monsanto VP Michael Taylor to helm the FDA and signed House Resolution 933 into law protecting companies like Monsanto from having to label their products as genetically modified. He put the wolf in charge of guarding the hen house and protected the wolf from the farmer (We the People).
On May 23, Senator Bernie Sanders (I-VT) proposed an amendment to the Farm Bill S. 954. It was defeated by a vote of 27 to 71 (Roll Call 135). His amendment would have allowed states to require any food, beverage, or edible product have a label indicating it contains a genetically modified ingredient. Sadly both Alabama Senator Jeff Sessions and Senator Richard Shelby voted against the right of Alabamians to know if they are buying Monsanto style Frankenfoods.
Genetic tinkering is taking place with our nations food supply with as yet unknown ramifications. Deoxyribonucleic acids or DNA; the basic building blocks of life in God's grand plan are being modified by companies who think they can do better. The resulting Frankenfoods are being by most rationale nations except the U.S.. As they say in Washington; money talks and common sense walks. The health and welfare of the U.S. is being sold out for kick backs and campaign contributions.
The eye opening book Mounting Worldwide Crisis in Agriculture by Dale L. Schurter is a must read for those concerned about the growing threat of GMO laced foods. A few examples of his finding are:
- Baylor College of Medicine study found rats exposed to GMO corn became infertile and the responsible component also causes the growth of human breast and prostate cells. This should not be in our corn flakes.
- University of Veterinary Medicine (Vienna, Austria) and the Research Institute of Organic Agriculture (German Federal Ministry of Education and Research) studies tie rats fed GMO corn with lower birth rates and lower average birth weights of their offspring. We should know if this is in our corn muffins.
- A study in the European Journal of Histochemistry (Italy) revealed that mice fed GMO corn (14% content) showed testicular changes and diminished DNA function and cell damage. Keep it out of our corn syrup.
- Russian biologist Alexey V. Surov fed Monsanto GMO modified soybeans to hamsters for two years over three generations. The maximum GMO soy diet group lost their reproductive capabilities, had slower growth and high mortality rate among the pups that were born by the third generation. The third generation hamsters had hair growing in their mouths. Makes one think twice about the source of their soy milk.
- 2012 study conducted by Norwegian scientists fed rats GMO corn over a 90 day period. Findings were the test subjects were fatter, ate more, showed changes in intestinal microstructure, had difficulty digesting proteins, and had immune system changes. These do not belong in our supermarkets or farmer's markets.
Congress should be moving to protect the American people not the purveyors of these mad scientist created poisons found in our kitchens and restaurants. The dollars filling their coffers from GMO lobbyists in Washington is more important than our safety. Germany was the sixth country to take action and ban GMO corn. The article Monsanto: Dangers of Genetically Modified Corn goes into detail on their decision to do so
German Agriculture Minister Ilse Aigner banned the cultivation and sale of the seed (MON-810) as being a threat to the environment. French Professor Gilles-Eric Serallini molecular endocrinologist at the University of Caen links GMO crops to problems in animal studies and that those responsible for regulating this have dropped the ball. Biology Professor Bela Darvas at Hungary's Debrecen University studied Monsanto 810. He found it to be lethal to two Hungarian protected species and one rare Hungarian insect. Monsanto replied to his findings by refusing to give him any more MON 810 or MON 863 corn.
One problem brought to light in this article is the dangers of GMO crops and contamination of other crops nearby via wind pollination. GMO crops threaten every man, woman, and child where ever they are planted. Our lives and health have been put on the chopping block for the sake of the almighty dollar. GMO crops routinely develop unintended and unnatural proteins, have altered protein levels, or changed components or shape of proteins. This is caused by the foreign genes being inserted into the plants DNA. Frankenfoods are not natural products. This tinkering can change the natural workings of the plants own DNA and these companies will go to great lengths to suppress any adverse reactions in humans that may occur. With one of their own running the FDA the future looks grim.
Alabamians have a right to know what's in the products they purchase. We must have the facts in order to make wise decisions. Preventing us from having these facts is an inexcusable slap in the face. Country of origin labeling protects us from the corner cutting poisoners in China and other countries. The labeling of GMO laced foods and related products would protect us from the major corporations like Monsanto who put profit before reason. It's your right to know as an American and an Alabamian.
You should question any politician who opposes your right to know. Take a stand today for your health and the health of those you love. Spread the word about the threats posed by GMO foods and the spineless politicians who've sold you out for campaign contributions. Your life very well depends on it.