Toronto Ward 12 York South-Weston City Councillor Frank Di Giorgio was nominated by Mayor Rob Ford to become the city's new budget chief. The executive committee later appointed Di Giorgio to replace Mike Del Grande.
Last month, Rob Ford ally and longtime city councillor Mike Del Grande announced that he would be stepping down from his post after he vowed to resign if city council voted to add any spending to his $9.4 billion operating budget. Council put in an extra $12 million, which Del Grande railed against.
On Tuesday, the executive committee appointed Di Giorgio as the Chair of Toronto’s Budget Committee. Maintaining a MBA and a Bachelors of Science in Mathematics, Di Giorgio, who has been an ally of Ford’s, has been a member of the budget committee since 2010 and was appointed by council to the executive committee in November 2011.
“Frank is an experienced and well-qualified Councillor who's sat on the Budget Committee since 2010,” said the mayor in a statement sent to reporters. “He helped us get to a sustainable budget and understands where we're going. I'm confident he will work diligently to deliver what taxpayers expect – budgets that keep taxes affordable and reduce the size and cost of government while maintaining quality customer service through increased efficiency.”
Di Giorgio also said in a statement that he is “honoured and grateful” to be the new budget chief and is looking forward to put forth a budget that is “fair and responsible to taxpayers.”
He was first elected in 1985 as a North York City Councillor. Di Giorgio has served in his present post since 2000. In the last election, Di Giorgio won by only three percent in a tight race.
Di Giorgio’s term as budget chief began Tuesday and will last until Nov. 2014.
The appointment comes two days after the mayor said on his radio show that he would like to appoint Di Giorgio to be budget chair.