Skip to main content
Report this ad

See also:

Four A-League sides begin FFA Cup duty on match day two

FFA Cup 2014 Round 1: Matchday Two-slide0
Photo by Tony Feder/Getty Images

The FFA Cup first round continued on Tuesday night as the second round stands half completed, with two A-League sides making the round of 16 in matches across the country.

Tuggeranong celebrate their win on penalties
Photo by Robert Prezioso/Getty Images

Yet again there was a shoot-out, as the cup went to Tasmania for the first time as South Hobart played Tuggeranong to a 1-1 draw before Tuggeranong won a great shootout 5-4.

It was a match that pitted two teams from outside of the major federations against each other as Tasmania’s South Hobart, and ACT’s Tuggeranong did battle for a place in the last 16.

The first half was tight, and entertaining but neither side was really able to get away, with the Tasmanian’s perhaps on top but doing little to trouble Rohan Shepherd in the Tuggeranong goal.

That trend continued in to the second half as both sides struggled to finish, until a goal happened in the 70th minute but not through an expected source.

With South Hobart on top the pressure finally told as a goal-mouth scramble lead to Sean Kiddey scoring an own goal to put South Hobart in front.

Tuggeranong were able to fight back and in the 85th minute sent the match to extra-time as Zach Munster put away a header from close range to equalize.

The extra-time period was a thrilling end-to-end affair, with Tuggeranong, through Muad Zed and then South Hobart, through Darcy Hall both hitting the woodwork, which sent the match to penalties.

In a shootout with just one miss, it was Shepherd who was the hero, as he was able to save Caleb Ludlow’s kick, allowing Harry petit to step up and send Tuggeranong through to the round of 16.

The first ever intra-A-League match in the cup pitted Newcastle Jets against Perth Glory in Broadmeadow and it was the visitors who came out on top with a 2-0 win for Glory.

It was a tight opening to the first half but 20 minutes in, new signing Andy Keogh, paid off for his new club as he was able to send home a good ball from Sidnei Sciola, who left him with little to do to put Perth in front.

Nine minutes later it was a new Jet who nearly put his side back on level terms a Jeronimo Neumann was able to hit a long range effort which came back off the bar.

In the 31st minute Jeronimo had another chance to find a goal, and should have, but this time sent his effort wide after being put through by Joel Griffiths, keeping it 1-0 at the break.

Facing elimination the Jets pushed hard in the second half, but showing that it was still early in pre-season, couldn’t get a chance away, their best coming through Joel Griffiths just after the hour mark, but he was denied by a solid save from Vukovic.

With two minutes to play the Jets were punished for wasting the chances as Mitch Nichols was given space to run, allowing him to cross in a ball for Keogh who sealed his brace and the 2-0 win.

In the western Sydney two third division sides did battle, and it was entertaining, and tight as St Albans defeated Parramatta FC 1-0 to advance to the second round.

The first half was tight and scrappy but 10 minutes before the break Barry Devlin scored a memorable goal, as he found space outside the box and hit it powerfully past Luke Turnbull to give his side a half-time lead.

10 minutes in to the second half St. Albans nearly made it two as Brodie Paterson found space on the edge of the area and shot powerfully but was denied by the keeper.

Parramatta went on the offensive after the hour mark with Daniel Rezo going close in the 66th minute with his shot from distance, before Shayne Ardle's effort came off the post.

With time running out, it was all Parramatta but Stuart Webster, in the Saints goal, kept his side in front with a phenomenal double save in the 78th minute to book St. Albans' passage to the next round.

The final match of the second match day saw the second A-League battle as Adelaide United made sure the an Australian team would win the FFA Cup, eliminating the lone foreigners, Wellington Phoenix 1-0.

Wellington started the match well, keeping Adelaide in their own half but they couldn't break through a stern defense and in the 31st minute paid the price as Tarek Elrich and Awer Mabil linked up well to send Sergio Cirio on goal, allowing him to finish for the vital goal.

Wellington tried hard from then on but it was Paul Izzo, in for Eugene Galekovic, away on All-Stars duty, who starred, stopping the Phoenix.

In the closing stages Wellington nearly managed an equalizer as an effort was denied by the post, which became the saviour for Adelaide who went through to the second round.

Report this ad