Because of the Texas Revolution, every man who volunteered was being utilized in the fight against the Mexican soldiers. Because of this fighting, the Indians who were a much larger threat to the citizens than the Mexican forces were free to attack the settlers who were moving into the territory. The raids were becoming so devastating that the Government decided something had to be done to protect the settlers from these repeated attacks. The game plan was to recruit volunteers to protect the settlers from the Indians, these specially selected men became known as Rangers. It was their responsibility to protect settlements from the Indians, and when needed to come to the country's aide from Mexican attacks. It was decided that the citizens of each area would be responsible for compensating the Rangers who were assigned to patrol their region. Captain Tumlinson was commissioned when a Ranger force was needed to protect the area located just above where Austin currently is located.
He recruited sixty men from around the Colorado River area, he was well versed in the area they were set to patrol. They set up camp about ten miles below where Austin is currently located at Hornsby's Bend next to the Colorado River. That evening a woman arrived at camp by the name of Mrs. Ribbons, she needed help because a group of Comanche Indians killed her husband and one small child, kidnapping her and their older child. She had managed to escape but needed help to rescue the child from the Indians. Reuben Hornsby acted as guide Captain Tumlinson and his troops set out after supper to find the Indian camp. Around ten o'clock the following morning the Rangers rescued the child and took all of the Indians horses catching the Indians off guard. From there they journey forward to build a fort which they named Fort Tumlinson.
Fort Tumlinson was established by the Texas Rangers in 1836 by Captain John Jackson Tumlinson. This was the first white man's fort established in this area. This was a very short-lived fort located in what is now Williamson County at the headwaters of Brushy Creek. In early 1836, the post was built with a blockhouse for protection from the local Indians. In March of 1836, the troops abandoned the post to help with fighting the Mexican soldiers who were invading the newly established Texas. It was discovered by Noah Smithwich that Fort Tumlinson was burnt down by the Indians in 1837. During this time, the families were being attacked by both Mexican Forces and the Indians, forcing them to seek protection in Bastrop. The Rangers were being utilized to protect these settlers during their movement from their homes across the frontier to Bastrop. Captain Tumlinson and First Lieutenant Jo Rogers handed over their command over to Major R. M. Williamson the Commander-in-Chief of the Rangers in order to move their families to safety.
There is a Marker located on Hwy 183 and Block House Drive just outside of Leander at the entrance of the Block House Creek Community. The Cedar Park Community was established after George, and Harriet Cluck purchased a considerable amount of land in the area. Harriet Cluck acted as postmistress for several years in the Post Office that was set up in 1874 and named Running Brushy. In 1882, the name was changed to Bruggerhoff with the railroad arrived in 1882. In 1887, the area received its current name of Cedar Park. The town had a lot of ups and downs prior to the rapid growth of Austin and in 1973, the city of Cedar Park was incorporated.