Fort Nashville Texas
For over a thousand years Lipan Apache, Yaquis, Huecos, Tonkawa, Kiowa and Comanche Indians lived in villages along the Brazos River and adjoining creeks using the outlying areas for hunting. Nashville on the Brazos was founded by Sterling C. Robertson in the middle of Indian Territory during the fall of 1835. He named the town after his birthplace of Nashville, Tennessee. Two people were killed Thomas Riley and another man by the name of Neal in January of 1836 when the settlement was attacked by local Indians. This resulted in the development of Sterling C. Robertson's Ranger Company. They built Fort Milan near the falls of the Brazos River. Another Fort was established at Little River where it branched out. Because of the Indian attacks, most of the communities throughout the area constructed blockhouses to protect their communities this included Nashville, Tenoxtitlan and Milam. The Indians signed a treaty in October of 1844 setting a boundary between the settlers and the Indians. The treaty helped to some degree; however, the Indians violated the treaty by continuing to hunt on Little River and Bushy Creek.
Nashville was considered as a possible locale for Republic of Texas' capital by the Texas Congress. Nashville functioned as the Milam County seat from 1837 to 1846, until the state legislature decided to move the County seat to Cameron. The remaining population decided to move away leaving the town abandoned in 1868 with the closing of the towns' post office when the Houston and Texas Central Railroad arrived near Hearne. In 1927, seven acres were purchased by the "Daughters of the American Revolution" with some additional funding from Milam County about five miles west of Hearne and five miles northeast of Gause Texas that was deeded to the state to be used as a memorial park. There are several historical markers along US Highway 79 one is located five miles northeast of Gause that was put up by the State of Texas in 1936. The town cemetery is all that remains of the once populated Nashville.