Skip to main content

See also:

Former Hells Angels president was sentenced for 2008 Vegas chapel assault

Hells Angels motorcycle club members charged with assault
Hells Angels motorcycle club members charged with assault
Francis McCabe/Las Vegas Review Journal

Charles “Peewee” Goldsmith, a former president of the Hells Angels Las Vegas chapter was sentenced to two to five years in prison on Tuesday March 18, 2014 for the 2008 wedding chapel assault. The assault was on rival gang members from another motorcycle club called Mongols. Members from the Mongols club were attending a wedding at A Special Memory Wedding Chapel, located at Fourth Street and Gass Avenue in downtown Las Vegas on December 20, 2008.

At the same time members of the Hells Angels were leaving a wedding ceremony at another wedding chapel when they recognized Mongols members attending a wedding ceremony as well. A total of 13 Hells Angels members attacked three Mongols members and three other people by beating the men with their fists, feet, bottles, and trash cans. Charles “Peewee” Goldsmith was the apparent instigator of the fight and the first one to assault Mongols members according to prosecutors.

In October Charles Goldsmith plead guilty to battery with substantial bodily harm with intent to promote further or assist the activities of a criminal gang and coercion. Goldsmith’s son, Brad Goldsmith, was also sentenced Tuesday to 16 months to four years in prison for his role in the attack.

When Judge Michael Villani sentenced the men, he detained them immediately and took the men into custody to start their sentences. A total of 13 men, were charged in the attack of the three Mongols members and three others. Defense attorneys for the accused claimed self defense for the defendants because months earlier from the 2008 wedding chapel incident, Mongols members attacked and killed a Hells Angel member in San Francisco.

Three of the thirteen defendants named Joseph Gennuso, John Merchant, and James Sexey plead not guilty and are awaiting trial. One of the defendants, John Dawson pled guilty to battery charges, but Mr. Dawson has since passed away.