As the thirteenth anniversary of the September 11, 2001 terrorist attack approaches, concerns are being raised that the federal government has lost track of 6,000 foreign nationals who arrived in the U.S. on student visas and those who vanished could launch another 9/11 type of attack on American soil, CBN reported on Tuesday.
CBN also reported that at least 100 Americans are believed to be fighting with ISIS and some of those may return the U.S. and could potentially launched terrorist attacks at unknown locations anywhere in the U.S.
Breitbart reported in early August about the 100 or more American Jihadists fighting along side ISIS. Republican Congressman Frank Wolf (R-VA) said at a congressional hearing, “There are over 115 Americans, American citizens with passports, who are part of ISIS, and there are several thousand Europeans from France, from England, from Germany, from Scandinavian countries, who are fighting with ISIS.”
“In fact one of them who went over to fight was from Florida, came back, went back, said hateful things on the Internet, and was killed in a suicide bombing. So this has potential to come to the homeland, “Wolf said.
With the disappearance of thousands of foreign nationals, Sen. Tom Coburn, (R-OK), who sits on the Homeland Security Oversight Committee said. “They just disappear. They are taking advantage of a program offered at Harvard, Yale, and other major institutions. It's how one of the 9/11 hijackers got into the country before flying a jet into the Pentagon.”
President Obama is taking heat from both Republicans and Democrats for not having a plan on how to deal with ISIS and the threats facing the United States but Republicans are taking a stronger stance against Obama in his dealing with the ISIS threat.
Sen. John McCain, R-Ariz., told CBS's “Face the Nation”, “I think it starts with an understanding that this is a direct threat to the United States of America, that it may be one of the biggest we have ever faced. I was astounded when the president of the United States said that the world has always been messy and it has been accentuated by social media. That means that the president of the United States is either in denial or overwhelmed," he charged.
At the same time, Fox News reported on Tuesday that President Obama had been given detailed intelligence for a year about rise of ISIS and has yet to do anything. In the Fox News report by Catherine Herridge, she said that a former Pentagon official told Fox News that Obama was given detailed and specific intelligence about the rise of the Islamic State as part of his daily briefing for at least a year before the group seized large swaths of territory over the summer.
On the rise of ISIS, the former Pentagon official told Fox News that some of the intelligence was so good in the region, that when the president drew a red line on chemical weapons use in Syria in 2012, the information was "exquisite." “We were ready to fire, on a moment's notice, on a couple hundred targets, but no order was given," The Pentagon official said. "In some cases, targets were tracked for a long period of time, but then slipped away.”