Trudy Steinfeld, writer for Forbes.com, recommends power networking this holiday season and offers ten advice tips for reaching out to others for contacts and opportunities to improve skill sets. Updating your LinkedIn account is one pointer she offers, but there is more to networking than keeping your information current.
Here are some other recommended ways to promote yourself this holiday season.
- May yourself presentable by developing a strong work ethic, communication skills, emotional intelligence, and a professional wardrobe.
- Be comfortable with your body language. Perfect your handshake. Practice mirroring behavior.
- When networking remember to be proactive and build a reputation that stands out from your competition. Have a prepared statement of your situation so you sound confident and reliable. Project authenticity and genuineness. After sharing common interests with your contact, ask for the industry's leads and needs.
- Stay current with the industry's needed skills. If you are presently employed, use the holiday break to seek out company-sponsored educational or conference opportunities. Consider your skill set, and ask yourself if you can:
- manage, present, and lead projects
- manage finances