Sofia Vergara has just been named by Forbes Magazine as the top-earning actress on TV. The accomplished actress plays a very well-known role on Modern Family and is known for her sexy curves. After being identified for the second year in a row on Thursday as the top-earning TV star of the Forbes Celebrity 100 list, it's obvious the star is one savvy business woman. Whether you appreciate Sofia’s acting or not, everyone in business has to appreciate her successful strategy of branding. Paralleling her acting career with her brand, she has made some decent money. Forbes figures the star made over 30 million last year.
It used to be that actors and actresses in Hollywood made their money acting, but with branding and exposure that doesn't necessarily apply in the current Hollywood environment. Instead the focus has become how to use stardom to increase exposure for brand opportunities. Sofia Vergara has figured this out quite successfully as she, along with her other cast members of Modern Family, all star on the same show, but her brand has catapulted her income to the next level.
So what does Sofia Vergara do that’s impressive with her brand compared to other stars? Well, living in Hollywood there are some obvious differences that set her apart from her colleagues and make her brand stronger than ever.
1. Sophia's brand offers a connection to consumers. While her fans might live in Iowa or Idaho, they still understand that the actress started with nothing and is grateful for everything she has worked for. She mentions it every chance she gets in interviews and there isn't any doubt of her sincerity. The struggle of hardship and appreciation isn't something that fans might think of reflecting on Kim Kardashian's brand and it works to Sophia's favor.
2. She uses her own products. Sofia Vergara wears her dresses designed for K-Mart on red carpets and during the day. Perhaps not every day, but looking over pictures from tabloids, her threads are part of her lifestyle. Why does this matter? Well, it’s unbelievable Heidi Klum eats Carl’s Jr. Burgers outside the ads she stars in. Or that Beyoncé drinks Pepsi outside of the commercials (way too many calories for her picky diet.) Sofia’s brand is real and people see it in different ways so they know it’s not just about an exchange of cash for an endorsement.
3. Sophia Vergara has a sense of humor. She could be the neighbor next door or the teller at the bank as her friendly and humorous approach draws people in. You can’t pay for such a kind demeanor, but it helps sell products in her brand. Laughing at yourself instead of trying to control how the media portray's your brand goes a long way with consumer appreciation.
4. Sophia offers up a fresh look at branding. Her name isn't on every product available and she doesn't demand people buy her item on every red carpet. Not pitching every product known to man can make a difference in branding. Creating a genuine base of loyal consumers, she doesn't tell people it’s good. Instead she proves it. Only products proven to be good have her name on it.
5. She uses a bilingual approach. Known to speak in Spanish and English on the red carpet, her brand is to a bigger market and is twice what other entertainers might have. She has captured both demographics and catered to her fans who love her. Besides Marc Anthony, Eva Longoria and Jennifer Lopez, few stars even consider giving equal attention to the Spanish population in the United States.
Sophia Vergara definitely has thought out her branding strategy well when it comes to using her star power. Nobody should be surprised to see her on top of the Forbes list in 2014 either as she has worked hard to be number one and deserves all the success she gets.