A football player dies after ant bites in Texas and the news has gone national. On Sept. 18, FOX Sports reported that 12-year-old was bit by ants while he was warming up during halftime of a game. Cameron Espinosa had a severe allergic reaction to the bites after being bit. He tried to get the ants off him using a water bottle but he passed out and was rushed to a nearby hospital where he remained in critical care until Monday.
"The boy was unaware that he was allergic to ants, and the school district had no record of allergies for the boy," explained school spokesperson Lorette Williams (via FOX News).
The football player dies after after several ant bites that crawled on him from the grass. It is unclear what kind of ants bit Cameron but, judging by the report, there must have been quite a few bites that caused his to have such a bad reaction. Contrary to popular belief, ants can and will bite and their bites can cause allergic reactions -- it's not just bees that people have to be cautious around.
Cameron passed out on the sidelines and a defibrillator was used to try and revive him before paramedics arrived on the scene. He spent a week in the hospital before his body succumbed to the reaction.
Since the football player died after the ant bites, his classmates and teammates have been remembering him in their own way. "'Students and teachers have been wearing green [the school's color] and white ribbons with the number 66 [Cameron's number] on them,'' said Williams.
© Effie Orfanides 2013