Skip to main content
Report this ad

Foot in the Door Exhibit at the Minneapolis Institute of Arts


Insert photo caption or credit here

Just three days left to get your entry in to the FOOT IN THE DOOR exhibit at the Minneapolis Institute of Arts. It's free, all entries are accepted as long as they meet the criteria, and this opportunity only comes along once every 10 years, so don't miss it!

Marv Kaisersatt and I arrived at the M.I.A. after a nice lunch at the Original Pancake House (where else can you get BUCKWHEAT pancakes?) We parked and were followed to the correct door by a Russian man. He was met at the door by his friend who said, "It's an hour and a half wait." He replied, in a very thick accent, "I'm not Minnesota Nice...I don't have to wait." I laughingly made a gesture like I would trip him if he tried to pass us.

We entered the new Target wing, and were met by a docent. I said, "Why do I feel like I'm at Disney World and this is the part where you tell us that our wait to get on the ride will be two hours?" He didn't smile. Just said, "Probably an hour and a half," and gestured into the rotunda. We got in line, each carrying our boxes. I brought the "Hell's Chicken: The Episode of Egg Throwing" and Marv brought "Carver at His Bench."

As we slowly progressed through the long line, curving back and forth around the rotunda, we chatted with our lines mates. Then, as we passed the 20 minute or so point, Marv nudged me. "How did that guy get up there?" "Huh?" I replied. "That guy...the one who came in after us. He's way up there..." By gum, the Russian was about 40 people ahead of us, putting him about 15 to 20 minutes up. The people behind us, who had previously also been in front of him happened to notice about the same time. One of them called over the security guard who, predictably, did nothing. And frankly, life's just too short to worry about it. But it was a mystery. We continued to wend our way around, with Marv occasionally adding his "race track voice over" to liven it up a bit. Then, just after we rounded the second bend, we noticed that the Russian guy was at the front of the line. I said, "HOW did he do that????" And the woman behind us said, "I just want to know if he gives lessons."

Anyway, it was very interesting people watching, and seeing so many of the various artworks that people brought in. Everything from a very 70's looking copper flower arrangement to a pencil drawing of a gorilla. Some of it was (IMHO) pretty awful, but some was also very interesting.

We got to the front of the line after 65 minutes of standing, chatting, and pushing the boxes along like an extremely slow game of soccer. I'd forgotten to put my city and state on the form, and the volunteer who was checking me in asked me for the information, which I gave him. He said, "Faribault? Do you know Gordy Washura?" The name, being totally out of context, didn't ring a bell. Then he said, "He owns the Dandelet jeweler." Oh, GORDO! Yeah, I know him. I pointed out Marv, who was just down the table, and the volunteer knew of him, so came over to meet him and see his carving. What a coincidence.

Anyway, we left the M.I.A. feeling not too much worse for wear. It was certainly an interesting time, and I'm looking forward to seeing all the things on display. It promises to be nothing if not bizarre.

I encourage everyone to consider taking a piece in. Once every 10 years. It's free. Why the heck NOT!?!?!

For more info: Visit


Report this ad